What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what does a green dragon vft look like?

theres so many names and i cant tell the difference between the green colored vfts.

My guess would be that it should be green.

It doesn't have any red pigment no matter what the light.

Edit: I was wrong

Here are some pictures of my Green Dragon.  If I remember correctly, Green Dragon is a cross between typical and red dragon or "Aki Ryu". It has a generally maroon color that is dusted on the edges with green and the traps have a pronounced green banding at the edge.

BobZ can probably provide you a link to the actual published cultivar description.

Anyway..  here are the pics..  enjoy

Steve

vftapril504001.jpg

gdbogs.JPG

gdbogs2.JPG

This photo is too large to post...  Green Dragon macro

Yep, those are 'Green Dragon's and as you can see the plants do have red in them, in fact, mine are nearly totally red.

Mine turn completely red in the heat of the growing season. Quite reminiscent of 'Pink Venus' in colour.

I can post some pictures of each tomorrow, so you can get an idea. Both cultivars are really quite nice.

Names, names, names ... will it never end?

'Green Dragon' was registered as a cultivar in 2005 by publication in Das Taublatt 51:25. The plant was isolated in about 1996 during the amplification of 'Akai Ryu'.

"Pink Venus" and "Regal Red" are very similar, if not identical. Take a look at
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flytrapsville/pinkregal.JPG
I have 36 links to photos of "Pink Venus" in the CP Photo Finder.

Though Bob has once again supplied us with many fine pictures of specimine, I figure I'd oblige the request anyway and post a picture of my 'Pink Venus'.

PinkVenus.jpg

And a 'Green Dragon' for comparison.
GreenDragon.jpg

When light conditions are the same (not really evident in these pictures,) the hue is very much the same, in my experience.

How is the Green Dragon different from the Red Dragon?

There is not much of a difference between the two. Green Dragons came, as mentioned above, from typical and red dragon or "Aki Ryu". I used to own both of these, and never could remember which one was which. Unfortunately both of mine were killed by rot. I have always enjoyed these particular plants though.

Back