What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer problems

I moved a VFT root from one 2 inch pot to another and the transfered VFT seems to be wilting...any thoughts?

If it is already acclimated to your outdoors, just continue to give it fullsun, and keep it in a water tray with good water (distilled, rain, or dehumidifier). Keep the water tray up and it'll be fine.

It just reacted. When transplanting, it is best to move the plant and soil as one unit, so its roots aren't disturbed. Then it doesn't notice anything. But then one needs to be cognizant of the changes in lighting and humidity.

I'm confused.. you moved it from a 2" pot to another 2" pot? Why?

I had two VFT plants growing in one pot so I moved one of them in its own seperate pot. Was that a bad idea?

No, that's fine. Never seen one wilt after being transplanted though. You used sphagnum moss peat?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (recacho638 @ June 29 2006,9:59)]I had two VFT plants growing in one pot so I moved one of them in its own seperate pot. Was that a bad idea?
This will open up a can of worms, but unless there is a problem with the soil media, like contamination, it wouldn't have hurt to have left the two together until they were both dormant. I bought a trio of VFT's in a pot and competition for space was never an issue. For very expereinced hobbyists, like Steve and Alexis, moving plants is no longer an issue. I'm sure they've paid their dues when they were new to the hobby and now know how to prevent problems as well as troubleshoot.

Is there any firm green growth from the centre of the plant?

I believe there is still some growth. However, some of the outside leaves are wilting. Also, I tried to feed one of the traps witha fly and it would not close. Any thoughts?

Yes. Leave it alone, and use superthrive on it to promote root growth, and feed the rhizome. It will be ok. Next time, as told, wait til dormancy, and do what you want with them. A 4 inch pot is best for VFT, and a 6 inch is better.

Where can I find superthrive? Is it a liquid or solid?

It's a liquid. You should be able to find it if you search on Google.

Personally I've found it has no effect, not even on non-carnivorous plants. As long as there is fresh growth coming from the centre of your plant, it will sort itself out.

Back