What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gotta get a cage or something!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A couple weeks ago my VFT's, after having recovered from a bit of inside to outside shock, got gnawed by something. Whatever it was also got into my cobra lily and bit the pitchers off some of them. I'm thinking very seriously about buying a birdacge, or something to that effect to keep them out and sunshine in. But that's not the thrust of this topic.

One of the VFT's was just plain decapitated and for the lark of it I placed the top portion in one of the other minibogs, nestled in the live LFS. I looked at today and it is still green. There is actually a trap in development. Anybody else try this with success?

Hi Jim,

I've taken the occasional top portion and stuck it in sphagnum, but unfortunately, none of them stayed green for long and nothing grew. It seems you really need the white flesh down by the base to get leaf cuttings to grow in my experience. Unless you're doing tissue culture or something, I think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 30 2006,8:47)]I'm thinking very seriously about buying a birdacge, or something to that effect to keep them out and sunshine in.
If the neighbors ask, the cage is to keep your plants from eating anymore of the neighborhood pets
smile_n_32.gif
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ July 01 2006,2:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 30 2006,8:47)]I'm thinking very seriously about buying a birdacge, or something to that effect to keep them out and sunshine in.
If the neighbors ask, the cage is to keep your plants from eating anymore of the neighborhood pets
smile_n_32.gif
!

That would be Ozzy, circa April 1, 2004

like I mentioned via PM, Jim, you MUST grab a little cage- I use a parrot cage and a rabbit cage, if you keep your eyes open you should even be able to buy one for next to nothing in a used condition- both mine are re-used/snagged-from-the-curb and I have NO critter problems whatsoever- either way I hope you get it sorted out
biggrin.gif
you already have enough experiments on the go, no need for critters to force you into doing even more
smile.gif

Yeah, I'll be hitting the yardsales this weekend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 30 2006,9:47)]A couple weeks ago my VFT's, after having recovered from a bit of inside to outside shock, got gnawed by something. Whatever it was also got into my cobra lily and bit the pitchers off some of them. I'm thinking very seriously about buying a birdacge, or something to that effect to keep them out and sunshine in. But that's not the thrust of this topic.

One of the VFT's was just plain decapitated and for the lark of it I placed the top portion in one of the other minibogs, nestled in the live LFS. I looked at today and it is still green. There is actually a trap in development. Anybody else try this with success?
Jim, isn't is about time you write "Jimscott's series of unfortunate disasters"  
smile_n_32.gif

dewy

LOL! Yeah... and I'll be doing a book signing at Borders!

Getting my tent and sleeping bag ready. I want to be the first in line to get my book, by Jim, signed.
I'd ROFLMAO but I would never be able to get back up.
Lois

In all seriousness, I did find a couple of wire cans at the dollar store and so far there doesn't seem to be any more disturbances. Not much more maddening than to see pitchers and traps being tossed to the side!

Back