What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folair feeding my Venus flytrap

The reason they wilted like that was because of the drasctic change of envoirment and from being uprooted. They really don't like that at all.

Let me ask you a question. Did the vft's come in a red plastic pot with a white cup lid that was cut to let the plant through but keep the soil in place during shipping? And was the soil 100% peat?
Let me know

yes Ozzie, it came in a plastic container with the humidity dome on it.  But as I replanted them and inspected them, the bolbs were very healthy and white, one had pink in it, that's the one that was flowering. And yes it was 100% peat.

Like stated before you just need to give them time.I've had my vft's for a few months and all are doing wonderful.Mysuggestion to you would be alot of sun and insects.The tricky thing with insect is making sure they are small enough to be consumed before it's starts to rot.

Thank you duke, but I only have very few traps that are open at this time, there is new Sprouts, but nothing like I see a healthy one have.  I will let nature take its course as it would in the wild for these plants I just wanted to give them a little help. And they get between 10 and 12 hours of sunlight, with distilled water, sponge moss/perlite, and tray water.

I agree with steve, my plants are usually very slow growers while adapting to a new habitat, I have killed at least 50 VFTs as well so i am defiantely not a pro at this thing, but once they adapt they usually grow like mad, all they need is some time, and i bet they will look awesome by the end of this season

Thank you Kirkscoastalcarnivores, I will give them time to adapt just getting some pointers from others just to make sure that I am doing the right things for my plants, Ozzie said that he would post my pictures that everyone could see and help me further. I want to thank everyone for all the support, I am learning a lot. And I will join the sponsored link that you have posted.

Does anyone have any idea what might be uprooting and eating my plants, the funny thing is its only eating the traps, and leaving the rest the plant intact. Kirkscoastalcarnivores the link that you told me to go to is OK but I am happy here.

I just thought I'd add that I spray my biggest, most robust Venus Flytrap with a foliar feed every two weeks and it's a beast because of it. I also feed it the occasional unlucky bug!

Another note: This beast of a VFT is grown in a terrarium under lights. Who woulda thunk it?!

Thank you LLeopardGGecko, what type of folair feed do you use and how much per gallon do you mix. I had my flytrap's on the ground they are now on a table do you know if rabbits are squirrels like to eat flytrap's or wasps are things.

Hey Ozzie are you going to post those pitches for me, I e-mail them to you today.I just want to see if there's anything wrong with my set up. You can even just post a reply if you want.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flytrap455 @ July 10 2006,6:10)]Thank you LLeopardGGecko, what type of folair feed do you use and how much per gallon do you mix.  I had my flytrap's on the ground they are now on a table do you know if rabbits are squirrels like to eat flytrap's or wasps are things.
I use Epiphyte's Delight and I believe I mixed one 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon. A little really goes a long way with that stuff.

As for animals eating your flytraps, I have heard of many growers having problems with small animals eating their CPs. Perhaps you should keep them protected somehow.

LLeopardGGecko, thank you for the tip, my Venus flytrap are on the table now high above the ground .

Sorry Ozzie there was something wrong with my e-mail you should have the pictures now, didn't mean to make you wait thanks again.

LLeopardGGecko , I ordered Epiphyte's Delight, superthrive today should be getting it within the week.Epiphyte's Delight is very popular out there for carnivores plants.

Yeah, I got them today. Your setup and your plants look very good. I only have one concern. I'll post the pics first and then discuss it.

125222034RL471818475.jpg

125222068RL168445954.jpg

125222084RL950261464.jpg

125222129RL605680510.jpg

125222154RL805683960.jpg

125222155RL489447672.jpg

125222048O233700566.jpg

125222210O301170613.jpg

125222212RL409642807.jpg

125222223RL100390544.jpg

125222240RL358965939.jpg

125222274RL721819867.jpg

125222261RL075995683.jpg

125222293O237460450.jpg

There you go. My only real concern is the way you have the pot set into the tub. I really think it'll be ok and work really good for you. My concern is is the pot too deep to get the moisture up through all that soil to the roots. If the soild stays wet enough then don't worry about it. If the soil gets dry, just take a cup and pour water over the plants whenever needed. Either way, the way you have the plants planted, you are going to have an awesome pot of vfts in a couple of years.

Good job.

Thanks Ozzie, I can rest now and be patience,to know that at least they have a chance to survive. Oh ya I put slits on the side of the pot 3 in. below the plants bolbs, so that should be plenty of water for the roots to thrive on.  And again thank you for your help.

NP
smile.gif

Back