What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fire ants nest

Hi,

When I watered my outdoor VFTs today, one of the large deep pots apparently has a colony of fire ants inside. They rushed out frantically and started crawling all over the plants, springing some traps to close....which sucks because theyr'e too tiny to get caught and just plain wastes the trap's energy.

Is there a way to get them to move once they're established? They don't seem to colonize aphids like other ants. I don't even know how they got in there considering the pot's immersed in a water tray and if I were a queen, that'd be the last place I'd wanna start a colony. I did grab a bunch of them and dropped them into my adjacent Sars. Thanks.

Johnny

have you tried really FLOODING the pot?  or maybe even submerging the whole thing under water?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]have you tried really flooding the pot? or even taking the entire plant and submerging it under water for a day or two..that oughta get 'em...

Although a bunch of ants could still survive the pot being flooded for a couple of days, you may dislodge them enough to get them out of there. Unless you want to replace the media, then having the media under water for a few days should do just fine. And it wont hurt your VFT.

Back