What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help IDing a new VFT

I just got a new VFT, and I was hoping someone could help me ID it.  As close as I can tell it's a Walmartus Specialus...but what do I know.  I'd also be interested in how you can tell the difference; I can ID some of the more common Drosera now with reasonable accuracy, but all VFTs look the same to me.  I'd really love to learn how to ID them.

Thanks!
smile.gif

vft1.jpg

vft2.jpg

vft3.jpg

Looks like a typical VFT to me, it has some faint pink coloration in the traps. It looks like it could use some more light, but otherwise it looks healthy.

-Ben

Thanks. I would agree about the light comment; I'm slowly acclimating it to sunlight now as I just bought it a couple days ago.

Do you happen to know what the scientific name for a typical VFT is? What other types are there?

There is only one species of VFT, Muscipula. The genus is Dionaea. Even though there is only the Dionaea Muscipula, there are many forms, such as those in this quick list taken from wikipedia:

* Dionaea 'Akai Ryu'
* Dionaea 'Big Mouth'
* Dionaea 'Clayton's Red Sunset'
* Dionaea 'Clumping Cultivar'
* Dionaea 'Dentate'
* Dionaea 'Dentate Traps'
* Dionaea 'Dente'
* Dionaea 'Fused Tooth'
* Dionaea 'Jaws'
* Dionaea 'Kinchyaku'
* Dionaea 'Red Piranha'
* Dionaea 'Red Rosetted'
* Dionaea 'Royal Red'
* Dionaea 'Sawtooth'

I see, thank you. I thought all of those names in your list were 'common names' for different species, similar to the way Drosera work. Still lots to learn...
smile.gif

As folks said, there is only one species of VFT: Dionaea muscipula. As with any species, there is genetic variability and growers have named some of the plants that are "different". Some of these names have been registered as official cultivars. The convention for a registered cultivar name is to use single quotes: Dionaea 'cultivar'. The official cultivars can be found at
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot....ltivars

In addition, there are numerous local names that growers have given to plants that they think look different or can sell for a higher price. Many of these are well within the range of typical variability or are the expression of local growing conditions. The convention for these unregistered local names is to use double quotes: Dionaea "myplant"

Links to a lot of photos can be found at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Also, I would strongly suggest picking up a copy of Savage Garden Cultivating Carnivorus Plants by Peter D'amato. It is a CP grower's Bible!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ Aug. 02 2006,1:22)]Also, I would strongly suggest picking up a copy of Savage Garden Cultivating Carnivorus Plants by Peter D'amato. It is a CP grower's Bible!
I second that!
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks BobZ, that clears up a lot of the confusion I've had about classifications.

As for the Savage Garden, I do plan to get a copy as soon as I have the money for it.

The Savage Garden is a great book and useful resource but bear in mind that no one book is THE book. It can be a good guideline but don't take every word as the gospel. There are all kinds of ways of growing CPs and everyone needs to find what works for them in their own locality. Many growers "break the rules" and have great success with their plants.

Do some research, do some experimenting and find out what works for you. A good way is to research the physical characteristics of a plant's native environment and try to duplicate that...plus reading and asking questions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 03 2006,3:18)]The Savage Garden is a great book and useful resource but bear in mind that no one book is THE book. It can be a good guideline but don't take every word as the gospel. There are all kinds of ways of growing CPs and everyone needs to find what works for them in their own locality. Many growers "break the rules" and have great success with their plants.

Do some research, do some experimenting and find out what works for you. A good way is to research the physical characteristics of a plant's native environment and try to duplicate that...plus reading and asking questions.
That is true.. but as far as literature on CP's goes.. you must admit that this is the best hardcopy source available to us!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ Aug. 03 2006,2:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 03 2006,3:18)]The Savage Garden is a great book and useful resource but bear in mind that no one book is THE book. It can be a good guideline but don't take every word as the gospel...
That is true.. but as far as literature on CP's goes.. you must admit that this is the best hardcopy source available to us!
smile.gif
At least until Barry's book comes out in a couple months.

Back