What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My VFT's; Are they healthy?

Hey guys, I just took a new round of photos of my VFT's. They appear to be growing well, although maybe a bit slow. The one I am concerned about is the Red dragon. What you see is all it has to show for almost 3 weeks of growth. Any thoughts?

My potting mix: (With some perlite on the side)
3404831_1024.ts1155491994532.jpg

Dente & Red Dragon:
3404840_1024.ts1155492066312.jpg

Typical Dionaea:
3404867_1024.ts1155492150311.jpg

make sure the schultz doesn't have any added fertz.

it's most likely just stress.

Looks like they're plugging along just fine. If you're beating entropy, so that's step 1. Just let 'em keep on growing and after a while you'll have something more to look at. If you're losing leaves faster than they're growing, then you may have a problem.

I'd check the peat for slow release fertilizer pellets. They'll be little yellowish pellets about the size of a BB. I have had a lot of problems with Schultz brand being comtaminated with fertilizer and other "junk". VFTs seem to be particularly sensitive to even trace amounts of these pellets in the bag. I have quit using any of the prepackaged sphagnum peat and use the bailed sphagnum peat instead. So far this year I haven't found any pellets in that.

Also, I would be suspicious of the "Green Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss". If it was dry and in a bag, it probably would be a light brown color. If it is green, it may have been dyed green. Your photos do show some green moss, but is it alive or just green?

I believe it's just green... do i need to repot?

Does the bag list the ingredients? If it is just LFS then that is all that should be listed. What kind of water are you using (tap, RO, distilled, etc.)? I wouldn't get to worried unless it starts declining. Slow growth can also be the result of transplant shock. Either from root disturbance from transplanting to a new pot or a change in growing locations or a combination. Such as from the store to your window. The change in light levels and humidity can be dramatic in some cases. Plants need time to adjust to these changes in their environment.

I can check the ingredients when i get home, and post them. I'm using gallons of distilled water purchased from the local jewel food store. When I replanted them from the package they came in, the roots were bare when i planted them, so this type of transplant i'm sure would take longer than if some of the potting mix remained intact on the roots? also, they did move from store shelves/usps boxes to my patio near chicago IL

Bare root plants can take a little longer to recover and start growing. With a bit of TLC they usually pull through though. I agree with what Est said. As long as it's producing new leaves as fast or faster than it's losing old ones, you should be fine.

the lfs did not have ingredients, just says lfs all; over it. although i must admit it looks dyed. however: the lfs in the pots in the pictures has never been changed or added or anything, and its just as bright green as the day i potted them a month ago.

Don't overwater

Be careful not to drown your plants. Try to match the amount of water you give them to the amount of water they need and are using. Allow the medium to dry until it is just moist before watering them again. This is especially important for newly planted or transplanted VFTs, which are already dealing with some shock to begin with.

Although they need a little boost of a few more waterings to begin with, until their roots become established, they still need to dry out quite a lot between waterings, with plenty of moving fresh air and air entering the soil.

If you give plants too much water (this is true for many plants) they will often respond by growing faster, but that growth can be very weak, unheathy, and prone to rot or early death.

It's like the plants are being forced to drink too much and have to try to grow faster (which can be stressful) to use the extra water in order to avoid rotting and the fungal infections that can be caused by constantly sitting in soggy, waterlogged conditions. Venus Flytraps are not aquatic. They are moist savannah plants, not swamp plants.
smile_m_32.gif

These are just my opinions and I'm sure there will be a variety of probably conflicting opinions, but you may wish to consider what I have just mentioned.

VFTs can tolerate sitting in standing water or even being submerged for a few days, but it is not healthy in the long run, in my opinion. The only time I ever leave pots of VFTs in trays of water (if I'm home to attend them and not on a vacation), is sometimes if they are outside on a hot day, in full sun, with plenty of fresh air. In shadier or cooler conditions or where the air is not moving as much, I never (well, rarely) leave them for long in water. It's too stressful and risky regarding microbial infections and rots of various sorts, and they grow healthier with less water and more air around their roots, in soil that is moist, not soaked.

Best wishes--

Back