What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help a total newbie with VFT's

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hello fellow experienced CP growers,

I am a 20 yr old university student from canada. Last year, I went to a local rona lansing and found the reputed VFT. The entire crate was in pretty bad shape. But I still bought one for 6$.A week later, I returned it since, after researching, I basically found it was too much effort and just returned it.

Now, 2 days ago, I saw a new batch of VFT at the local square one WALMART. I especially found a very attractive, healthy one. I had to give it another shot.  
smile_m_32.gif

Now here starts the questioning:

- Here are a couple of pics I took of the plant. Please note that "FOR THE MOMENT, till Sept 4th, the plant is in my home which is normally at a standard 22 degrees celcius, at a table which is around 12 ft away from the window.

1) Knowing my house, there WILL NOT be too many bugs near the plant. With my last attempt, I emailed to a person who had lot of experience with CP's. She helped me with suggestions and then said that "Do not worry if your VFT doesn't get any bugs. The plant can photosynthesize and won't die."
-- after sept 4th, it will be with me in university room where the temp again will be around 20 celcius. Again, there mght be small fruit flies and ladybirds (from last year's uni experience), but not too much

Now, the traps started going yellow after I got it. I am again skeptical whether its normal or not. Is my VFT dying already?? (???)

2) The main questions are these:

I have some plans for a little VfT terrarium at uni.
Which of these would you recommend:
1) http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/product/TERRFLYTRAPKIT
terrariumfinishedee6.gif

The included accessories is given. 4 VFT's, the bowl with the contents of soil mix etc. the price is around 40$ canadian + probably 16$ US for shipping.

2) <a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/Carnivorous-Venus-Flytrap-BIOSPHERE-KIT-fly-trap_W0QQitemZ190017796034QQihZ009QQcategoryZ7
5643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.ca/Carnivo....iewItem</a>

b9_1.JPG

Again, this one comes with the bowl, one VFT and other plants, soil mix, etc. It is only costing 32$ canadian + probably min 20$ shipping or so. (Shipping may be a bit lower than that. Not entirely sure, need to enquire.)

3) Buy my own Fish bowl at around 10$. I DO NOT want to buy a big bag of peat moss or other stuff as, this small terrarium is all I need it for. So, I would be pleased and happy if somehow someone can send me a little magic mix of their own spare soil mix.  
smilie4.gif

smile_o_32.gif

Then, I was planning of removing this existing VFT, planting it in the bowl, and, buy these:
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/Carnivorous-Plant-Venus-Fly-Trap_W0QQitemZ270018459756QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1510QQrdZ1QQcmdZV
iewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.ca/Carnivo....iewItem</a>

7d_1_sbl.JPG

ONE POT
smile_l_32.gif
 for again 12$ + 10$ more for shipping atleast.

Or else, I can just buy a couple more walmart VFT for 7$ and plant them myself.

My expectations are as follows:

- I want to use the terrarium as a good show piece at my table.
- I will have a fluoroscent white light lamp on top which I can keep on for as long as needed.
- I plan to keep it year round in the terrarium.
- I want to have a terrarium with a good clump and like this  
smile_m_32.gif

<source: some one's great pic from this forum>
vft20clusterkt2.jpg

I know I am too particular and too tight on my requirements.

So please, advice me:

Is this project advisable for me?? I will be really, really busy in uni. The most I can do is water + turn on or off the light.

And another thing:

can some generous person here donate me a few of their VFT's if they are willing to give a hand??  
smile_o_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
. I will definately pay shipping and if not a small fee for thier effort. I cannot spend more than 20$ on plants alone. I am a jobless uni student.

With this, I complete my post which took around 1 hr to finish from start along with importing pictures from camera and other minor stuff.  
smile_m_32.gif

and finally but not the least,

Its good to see a nice, decent, mature forum. I looked around and find that the ppl here are like close friends.

cheers,

varun

PS:; I did see the guide posted for VFT's. It is amazing, yet kinda scares me with the care required for these amazing plants.
confused.gif

confused.gif

VFTs need a couple of basic things through the growing season - not tapwater and light. Plus time and patience.

Your VFTs look fine, but I would put them actually on a windowsill. I've grown some enormous and happy VFTs on an east facing windowsill.

ok to answer your questions...
1) no it isnt dying...just adjusting to its new surroundings. once it gets over this it will be happily growing fo you.

2) ill answer this in my conclusion

conclusion: you dont even need a terrarium to grow a VFT. they are temperate plants so they must have a dormancy in the winter. this means reduced photo period and cold temperatures. grow it outside in full sun except in winter. when winter comes around then pluck out your VFT, cut off the leaves, put it in a ziplock baggie and put it in the fridge until the last frost has blown over. then take it out pot it up and viola! VTFs CAN NOT skip dormancy. it is vital to them like it is vital for us to sleep.
Alex

PS: the more sun you give it the redder they get.

Well, with your expectaions this is how you should take care of it.

-If it has to be in a fishbowl terrarium, thats fine. Just make sure the top is open and the bottom has a few holes for water to drain.

-You need at least 60w of light over the plant during the day.

-If you want to keep it year round in the fishbowl you will need to cut off all the dead foliage, spray it with fungicide, and stick the whole thing in the fridge for winter.

This is not the ideal way to grow VFT's but it will work. The best way to do a winter dormancey is prolly like glider said. But if you really want to grow them your way, it is possable.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
smile.gif

I really appreciate the time you guys took to read the long post and answer my concerns.

I WILL actually put this VFT outside near my mom's rose plants where there are a ton of bugs.

secondly, I got a reply from sales@petflytrap.com and their associate nathan said that i could order it to canada.

however, I still want to find out if I should go for the option of the first terraruim kit. did u guys have any experience with this product ? or actually from petflytrap.com
confused.gif

As a matter of fact, can you guys advice me the best place to buy a bunch of these plants with a terrrarium kit?

thanx again.

this website sells dionaea.

i don't reccomend a terrarium. keep it outside and , since your in canada and i dunno how cold it gets there---i'll assume really cold , pop it in the fridge in winter.

the problem about keeping it outside is that I live in university from sept, and I will be living in my own single room with only a window (& a door ;) ).

thats why, I prefer its own enclosure which I can keep spraying with water as mist to keep the humidity higher. and also, I can put the fluoroscent light on top, which actually makes it look like an interesting one of a kind light in the room.

As a matter of fact, I just ordered the following:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

SALE! Terrarium Kit - Flytrap Kit
$35.99

http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/product/TERRFLYTRAPKIT

terrariumlarge.jpg

terrarium_finished.jpg

Our premium Venus Flytrap Terrarium Kit comes with EVERYTHING you need to get started with Venus Flytraps! Each kit comes with a unique selection of plants, soil mix, care instructions, and of course a premium round terrarium in a 1.5 gallon size.

- Includes a variety of 4 Venus Flytraps & all required accessories for successful growing.

Plant selections may include Common Flytraps, Green Flytraps, Red Dragon Flytraps, Dente Flytraps, etc -- We select our best plants for your kit (depending on availability).

The best part is that YOU get to decide how you want to arrange your plants! The plants are packaged bare root and include easy to follow care instructions.

I just watched a google video on carnivorous plants and now I feel bad that I should have gone for the all-in-one variety terrarium with other carnivorous plants as well.

meh! well, I might first start learning how to raise just one.

well what about on your window? does it get any sun there?
Alex

There are restriction associated with shipping plants across national boundaries, so your best bet is to hook up with fellow Canadians, like Mabudon and Syble. This can be achieved by participating in OCPS. Mississauga isn't too far from Mabudon, who lives it St. Catharines. I'm not far from you in nearby Buffalo, NY.

Hi. Welcome to this board!

I am a college student in california, and can relate to your expectations in raising your VFT's. I, like you, decided to raise my first VFT's in a fish bowl terrarium. I got them in April from Wal-Mart, and have kept them in my room since then. I am using a good quality bulb and I catch house flies to feed them.

I can now see that this was a huge mistake. My VFT's are still alive, but the traps are small and die out quickly after they are fully developed.

My suggestion to you is to grow them in plastic pots by a sunny window, or on a window sill. You need to give them as much sun as possible. My VFT are doing horribly because they do not get natural sunlight. It is true that they will survive with a good bright bulb, but they will not be as nearly impressive as if you grew them out side in full direct sun.

I can no longer repot them in platic pots and place them outside because I am afriad the stress might kill my already weak plants in addition to having Autumn right around the corner. So, I am going to have to wait till next spring to repot them.

If I were you I would be careful using a terrarium. Also, make sure you do more research, the more info you know the better.

Good luck with your VFT's!!!

PS- I found this site really helpful when I was researching VFT's last winter:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

thanks for all the advice guys.

I am right now waiting for a little trouble to be cleared up.

yesterday I made a purchase of the terrarium kit at petflytrap.com.

At the very end it said credit card was declined because it was non-US.

However, the email I got from them said credit card payment is pending.

I immediately checked my CIBC bank account and called up credit card services and they said the payment has gone through. Nathan at petflytrap.com said the credit card was declined.

Now what am I supposed to do??...My first go at starting a new hobby and I think I lost 56$ canadian.
mad.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I really hope that I get my money back. Then this time I can just buy local pots and stuff, follow your advices and make my own VFT collection from the local walmart collection and from mabudon who offered me a couple of his extra plants. Thank you mabudon.

I will keep you guys posted on how this goes. Hopefully everything goes fine. CIBC credit card services said that we should wait till friday to see if the payment is reimbursed from the zoovy system that petflytrap.com uses.

Back