What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darn aphids

theyre crawling around killing the traps that arent even finishd developing
i also found spider web all over my flytrap
do u think the spider will eat the aphids?
or will the spider mess up the flytrap also?

Spiders are fine. Just make sure that the web you're seeing isn't from spider mites (google it.) I would kill the aphids that I see using alcohol and a cotton swab. The spider will eat some aphids, but how long will it take and how many new leaves will have been screwed up by then?

Edit- VFTs are very easy to submerge for a couple of days. Doing that will kill the aphids and will note harm your plant.

yea i know
some of the traps are warped
but thanks for the method of killing aphids
i didnt know alcohol would kill them
do they pop?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]some of the traps are warped

Yeah, just gotta work through that. Make sure they weren't warped in vain- kill dem aphids!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i didnt know alcohol would kill them

Alcohol kills... Just about anything. You can pick up some rubbing alcohol at just about any drug store.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do they pop?

If you set them on fire.

But I wouldn't advocate that as a proper method of treatment.

Bring out ze napalm!

lol
what do they look like after bein attackd by alcohol?

white and dead.
smile_n_32.gif

With mealy bugs it removes all the white powery stuff. Lucky I haven't had to deal with aphids. My nemesis is scale(hard and soft) and mealybugs. So far they just like messing with the orchids though. Might want to check and see if merit kills aphids, if the submerging doesn;t kill them for good. Bayer advance rose and flower insect killer has merit in it. I know it doesn;t work on mites, but not sure about aphids. Its a systeminc and makes the plant poisonous to the bugs that feed on it. Its the same stuff as frontline(or the similar products) for dogs and cats. As I said I haven't used it on my CPs because I haven;t had a reason to, but it works for orchids. Might need to wait on someone else who has bug experience on cps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what do they look like after bein attackd by alcohol?

Like a wet aphid that doesn't move. Alas, there's not a lot of glamour to it.

ill be sure to try that tomorrow
what if i do that on the spider?

Hmmm never tried it on a spider. I just squish them. If he is big make sure you don;t tick him off and get bit. Most spider bites are nasty.

No need to kill spiders, my friends, unless you find them in your drawers!

Well, if its a GA brown his butt is getting squished. I have seen what those things can do and its not pretty.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what if i do that on the spider?

Hit it with enough and it could die. I'd advise you not to use it on the spider. Spiders are beneficial and generally all around nice guys. He may even help eat other creepy crawlies in the future. Or he may just end up VFT foot.
smile_m_32.gif

Diluted Orthene works great. Not sure if they still sell this stuff, haven't seen it at Home Depot in a while.

Speakin' of spiders, one laid a bunch of eggs in my purp, now I have millions of babies.
confused.gif

-Ben

What does aphid damage look like?

wow spider infested
im not sure what damage aphids do but i know they kill up my flytrap

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wats a GA brown?

The ref. is to a Georgian brown recluse. Brown recluse give a particularly nasty bite. While the poison doesn't penetrate very deep, it travels fairly extensively shallowly and causes necrosis (death) of the cells it comes in to contact with. So what you can end up with is a big, but not deep, spot where the flesh is all dead. Not fun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does aphid damage look like?

On Sarracenia:
aphid01.jpg

aphid02.jpg

On other plants you'll see similar tiwsting and deformation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]im not sure what damage aphids do but i know they kill up my flytrap

Question for the sake of clarity: So you've seen aphids on your plant, right? We're not making assumptions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yes ive seen them
im not lying

Not saying you're lying I just want to establish without a doubt that we know what the problem is. No sense trying to kill aphids if we don't know if it's aphids causing the problem, know what I mean?

Back