What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFS Bad?

Of all the growing mediums we have experimented with, dried sphagnum moss caused more Venus Flytraps to die than any other soil mix. If you plant this as a growing medium, repot your plant into 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite immediately.

I found this on a web site.

they grow fine in LFS. people have different conditions.

i saw one member who had them growing in orchidbark and LFS and their were some of the best i've ever seen.

LFS Good!

agreed. i have a very thick layer of LFS in my mini bog and i got VFTs with traps of at least one inch...now it that bad
smile_l_32.gif
. however underneath this layer there is a peat/LFS mixture so once the roots get down far enough then that is what it will be growing in. sooo....conclusion? LFS is good.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Aug. 28 2006,1:43)]I found this on a web site.
well, if its on a website, it must be true!
smile_l_32.gif

been growing VFT's in LFS for 12 years now..
no problems yet.
smile_l_32.gif

Scot

I was just wondering if anyone had problems with root rot with just LFS. If you been using it for 12 years now then I guess I will keep mine in it. Maybe in the spring I will go back to peat and sand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Aug. 29 2006,12:51)]I was just wondering if anyone had problems with root rot with just LFS. If you been using it for 12 years now then I guess I will keep mine in it. Maybe in the spring I will go back to peat and sand.
root rot? on a vft!? dont they grow in almost soggy soil in the summer in the wild?

From what I have been reading, mostly from xscd's posts, they need well-drained media and not sitting water. The srier conditions encourage root development.

Well, I grow mine just like my Sarrs. Sitting in water up to the soil level. I do believe bugweed grows his like this too, but don't let me speak for him though. I have mini bogs out in the yard with my Sarrs and there are VFT in them. I top them off just like bugweed does his and my traps look fine. They are a little dry now, and I have to admit I am not as religious in watering them like bugweed it. Although I do have others sitting in pots that are in constant standing water. I just think if your getting root rot you had a fungal problem and the plants needed a repot anyways or a dose of fungacide.

VFTs love sphagnum moss, but will probably die in dry sphagnum what with the lack of water and all  
smile_n_32.gif

smile.gif

A few of mine are in nothing but LFS in a tray of shallow water and they are growing very nicely.

Tom

LFS good, just like Grundels!
smile.gif

guys....how do I get live sphagnum. I have seen no local garden center in canada, mississauga that has live green sphagnum. I really want it for my terrarium.
smile.gif

OR

If u see the pics in my sig...I actually cut away some wet sphagnum and laid some right on top of the soil mix.

Now will that promote sphagnum growth or will it be affected by fungus inturn making my VFT;s susceptable?

thanx.

it'll grow new sphagnum.

Sphagnum auctually has anti-fungal properties.

This is what happens to the dried LFS ove time, just by being at a window sill:

AF002101.jpg

This also works:

AF001901.jpg

My moss won't turn green. How long does it take?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Sep. 03 2006,12:41)]My moss won't turn green. How long does it take?
Well, some of my VFTs have been in it all summer and so far they're not turning green yet either.

Tom

The picture of the D. graminifolia was taken ~a year after they were germinated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 29 2006,4:26)]From what I have been reading, mostly from xscd's posts, they need well-drained media and not sitting water. The srier conditions encourage root development.

Thanks Jim--

I don't want to start an argument, but although VFTs do seem to be able to tolerate soggy conditions for quite some time, they grow well (better, in my opinion) with extensive root development and hardy upper growth when the planting medium is usually just moist instead of saturated. This is true even in semi-arid climates such as where I live in the dry grasslands of eastern New Mexico.

I do saturate the medium when I water them, but I don't leave them standing in water and I let the medium dry out for the most part before watering them again. Sometimes, however, I will add a little water to the surface (usually using a turkey baster) between the usual thorough waterings, if it seems too dry for the moss that grows on the surface.

All that said however, I know people also grow them in wetter conditions and seem to be successful. I personally aim for moist, not soggy, never dry.
smile.gif

Back