What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear VFT growers, please help fast

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
I posted this in terrarium forums...however, visitors there seem too little compared to the vft forum. So since majority of my plants are VFT's. I am reposting here. I am still waiting with the materials after 2 hrs since I posted...just sitting at the computer to know if this is how I should start

----------------

Hi guys,

Finally after all that planning and searching. I have made the move. As posted on the other forum, I first had an ikea greenhouse. but now, after purchasing some CP's from Keehns carnivores, I returned the 20$ mini greenhouse and bought these. The materials are in hand, and I am RIghT NOW...as I write planning on starting the build. I hope you guys can pop in fast and help me.

here are my materials:

1) a tank from Pj's pet store : 14$ CDN incl tax
I want to start small and cheap...so here is a small aquarium.

plant001sg0.jpg

plant002bc2.jpg

2) Here are my substrate materials:
peat moss : 4 $ CDN
perlite: 4 $ CDN

plant014pu5.jpg

plant015zr9.jpg

3) Here are the inhabitants:

i) My 2 week old walmart VFT ..now seeming to fluorish properly
smile.gif

plant004wr3.jpg

plant003za9.jpg

in the background is an airplant : 2$ ;)

4) the new comers are here:

from Keehns carnivores in BC, presenting: 1 B52 VFT, 2 typical vft, 1 drosera capensis sundew

very good packaging

plant006ac6.jpg

plant007iw7.jpg

plant011dh3.jpg

plant012ws3.jpg

ooooo....I am sooo excited.

missing in pics is a crate of aquafina pepsi de-mineralized water which I plan on using TILL snow time when I can collect snow for natural water.

Now this is what I plan on following as instructions::

http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/howtoplantaterrarium.html

Please tell me if those are good instuctions.

I plan on first putting a 1 inch perlite layer. Then mixing 60/40 peat moss and perlite.

then I would water it with a full or half 500 ml aquafina water.

then I would make way in the mixture to pot the plants.

Is this ok? can i do it this way?

Please reply asap....I am waiitng for your opinions experienced CP growers. I am very very excited....I just want to start off makign it right now ...also becos I am worried that something will happen to the new plants. however, they seem to have enough moisture and are well packaged. Yet..they look floppy and need to be potted asap.

please help.

cheers,

vraev
--------------------------

hmm, looks like fun! I don't know too much about terrariums...but I noticed a couple of things that might cause you trouble down the road:

you say you're putting a Drosera capensis in there with the VFTs. VFTs need to go dormant every winter...for a terrarium that might be a matter of putting it in a garage or basement, somewhere the temperatures will drop and they'll receive less light. the D. capensis, however, don't need to go dormant. so be thinking of a way to separate them when the time comes...the fridge method might be the way to go.

also, I'm a little suspicious of this water you're planning on using...if it's the Dasani brand drinking water we're all familiar with, it probably won't be good for your plants. I'm pretty sure they add things like salt to make it taste better to humans. CPs, as I'm sure you know, can't tolerate that stuff. try to get some distilled water from a supermarket or drug store....or just collect rainwater.

oh, and what are your plans for lighting?

anyway, good luck!

Aquafina should be fine to use as long as you get the distilled. I used it for a year when I grew my plants at home. Since moving them to my greenhouse I now use the water from my dehumidafier.
As Presto said, I would be careful with the capensis.

Thank you for the replies. yes....I was already thinking of what to do for light and dormancy. My window this yr at uni (sept - april) is south or north facing. I plan on keeping the tank NEAR the window to get max sunlight. Also I have a omni light which is 13 watts.

I was kinda disheartened after reading the fAQ at ICPS on VFT's. its sad yet understandable that VFT's are soo hard to keep alive in these settings.
smile_h_32.gif
. well...I'll give it a shot though.

For dormancy, as the day light starts affecting here canada where daylight hours decrease...I will slowly move it 5 feet at a time back into the room. Slowly to an area that may probably be like 5 degrees C. Then....I would probably take all the VFT's out...use water to clean the bulb, take a ziplok bag, wrap the VFT's in the peat...and put it in the main compartment of my fridge.

But for right now concerns....are the potting conditions right??? is it 60/40
confused.gif

I have just seen on aquafina website that the water is reverse osmosis.
smile.gif

btw,,,guys,...if any of you are good with VFT's in a terrarium setting like mine....please give me some of your instructions.

so here's a review of what I plan

untitled1vz1.jpg

at the extreme left is the capensis. next 3 are just VFT's the first one is my walmart potted vft. To minimize stress I plan on leaving it in its pot.

Later probably, next season, I might directly pot it into the mix depending on how the new ones are doing.

as you notice...I plan on leaving a side of uncovered bottom perlite. This I plan as a runoff. I mean...as I pour a lot of water...there is no drainage....so the water is at the very bottom....this would be equally distributed in the perlite....I can atleast use a eyedropper to draw out old water.

for the capensis, I plan on pouring water NEAR its center slowly...since I read that drosera''s prefer tray watering.

for vft...I am getting a new spray bottle.

Once I get to my uni chem lab or so...I will take a bottle of distilled water
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

there really aren't any 'right' answers when it comes to potting mix...it seems everyone has their favorite. I'm currently experimenting with all peat, peat with sand, peat with perlite, and long fiber sphagnum, with no significant difference between them as far as I can tell. 60/40 should work just fine.

5 degrees C?? seems like a very chilly dorm room!
smile_n_32.gif
but your dormancy plan sounds like it will work...one thing I did to get mine used to the cold before I put them in the fridge last year was put them in just for a few hours in the evening, gradually working it up to a full overnight. that might not be possible with a terrarium, but just a thought.

don't worry too much about excess water...these guys like it wet.

oh...and don't let your capensis do this to you!
smile_n_32.gif

lol!
smile_n_32.gif

well...I really love VFT's. I hope they do well in the terrarium. However, I guess I am kinda expecting a bad outcome after reading the FAQ of ICPS on VFT's.

However, I plan on taking necessary precautions against the points of why VFT's die.

-quotes from pdf's of ICPS---

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Wrong type of light.

I plan on putting the aquarium near a window AND also use a 13 watt white light.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Humidity is too high.

I don't even have a lid for the aquarium yet. I plan on using some cardboard.
biggrin.gif
....I',m cheap
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. Too warm for dormancy

I plan on doing the stage wise dormancy.

lol! btw....5 C in dorm room is possible near the window when I open it ;) ..that will make me chilly...yet ;) I guess I will live in the library more than my dorm ;) . Biochem is pretty demanding...and I can't let anything come in my studies...not even if I have to forgo some VFT's. (sorry...VFT)
confused.gif

Where did you order your CP's from?

I'm curious since I'm in Canada too....Brampton actually.

thanks.

its from Keehns Carnivores. search on google. The owner Rick is an amazing guy. We became good friends. the packagng is good ..as u can see...and it took 2 days by xpress post.

http://www.keehnscarnivores.com/

biggrin.gif

Might want to consider using a turkey baster for removing the old water rather than an eyedropper. The turkey baster looks like a giant eye dropper and works the same.

The potting mix should be fine, as perviously stated.

I followed the exact same site you are using to plant your terrarium. (http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/howtoplantaterrarium.html). The only thing I did diffrently is that I used more potting mix. I am currently using a fish bowl because I only own 2 common VFT's.

During the day I cover the top with plastic wrap and keep it next to a sunny window. I do this to keep humidity up and to keep the soil moist. When the sun goes down, I take off the plastic wrap and place the bowl under a bright 30watt bulb. Because of the fact that the plants do not get lots of direct sunlight they need more light, so that is why I put the bowl under a buld from 7pm til about 12 midnight.

As i stated in your first thread, my plants are growing, but they have been forming long skinny leafs with small traps that die out fast because of the absence of direct sunlight.

You might have success with your terrarium, though. I also used the 1-2in of perlite on the bottom of the bowl (tank) and then added 2cups of water, back in April when I first planted my VFT's. I am now noticing though that the water is amlost gone, so I have started to use a spray bottle to mist and saturate the soil with water.

After my experiance with my terrarium, I am definitly going to use the fridge method for dormancy, and I will definitly grow my VFT's outside next spring.

Good luck!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Sep. 01 2006,8:01)]lol!
smile_n_32.gif

well...I really love VFT's. I hope they do well in the terrarium. However, I guess I am kinda expecting a bad outcome after reading the FAQ of ICPS on VFT's.

Venus Flytraps don't need a terrarium. They thrive in fresh moving air and lots of light.

I live in an extremely dry area of the U.S. (New Mexico), probably drier than where you live, and VFTs are the primary carnivorous plant I grow. I would never consider placing them in the stuffy atmosphere of a terrarium. It's not only unnecessary, the environment in a terrarium (unless it is very open, which defeats the purpose of a terrarium to begin with--to keep everything very humid) can become very stuffy, can overheat in sunlight very rapidly to the point of killing the plants, and can cause problems with stagnant, undrained water and fungal infections that can kill the plants.

Don't smother your VFTs with too much careful, worried attention.
smile_m_32.gif

And please don't overwater and drown them. They are moist grassland plants, not swamp plants or aquatics.
smile_m_32.gif

All that said, VFTs DO like deep room for their roots (although it is not strictly necessary), and plenty of sun and insect nutrition--just be a little conservative with water (distilled, reverse osmosis or rainwater only, with NOTHING added after the reverse osmosis or distilling process!). Water thoroughly until saturated, then allow the medium to dry out until just moist. In winter dormancy, the water requirements are very diminished and minimal. Here in arid New Mexico, U.S., in the wintertime I may water my VFT pots only once per 7-14 days.

best wishes and good luck. VFTs are great little plants--

Steve / xscd

Here is my first terrarium.

However, the plants are messed up. Especially the new ones..they look strained and floppy. is this normal for purchased plants??? How long would it probably take THIS SEASON before dormancy time to recover?

img1337sv9.jpg

img1339dv1.jpg

img1338gs2.jpg

img1341ey5.jpg

img1340xi9.jpg

img1342ye8.jpg

cheers,

vraev

dont worry what people tell you about the capensis...if it hits freezing(or just above) it will come back from its roots...like with BCK muahaha! i have yet to experience D. capensis as a weed...but shouldnt be too long because i have about 13 seed pods with one that is about to ripen...oh joy
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xscd @ Sep. 01 2006,2:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Sep. 01 2006,8:01)]lol!
smile_n_32.gif

Venus Flytraps don't need a terrarium. They thrive in fresh moving air and lots of light.

I live in an extremely dry area of the U.S. (New Mexico), probably drier than where you live, and VFTs are the primary carnivorous plant I grow. I would never consider placing them in the stuffy atmosphere of a terrarium. It's not only unnecessary, the environment in a terrarium (unless it is very open, which defeats the purpose of a terrarium to begin with--to keep everything very humid) can become very stuffy, can overheat in sunlight very rapidly to the point of killing the plants, and can cause problems with stagnant, undrained water and fungal infections that can kill the plants.

Don't smother your VFTs with too much careful, worried attention.
smile_m_32.gif

And please don't overwater and drown them. They are moist grassland plants, not swamp plants or aquatics.
smile_m_32.gif

All that said, VFTs DO like deep room for their roots (although it is not strictly necessary), and plenty of sun and insect nutrition--just be a little conservative with water (distilled, reverse osmosis or rainwater only, with NOTHING added after the reverse osmosis or distilling process!). Water thoroughly until saturated, then allow the medium to dry out until just moist. In winter dormancy, the water requirements are very diminished and minimal. Here in arid New Mexico, U.S., in the wintertime I may water my VFT pots only once per 7-14 days.

best wishes and good luck. VFTs are great little plants--

Steve / xscd
wow...nice to see you here xscd. I love the pics of your VFT's. They look amazing.

I understand the thing of VFT's not requiring a terrarium. however, the whole reason I did the entire terrarium is for VFT's since I like them very much
smile.gif
. They are the entire reason for this project. yet, I did not want to put them in a silly small pot the size of the walmart one. I wanted a big enclosure which I can have these plants + some live moss for a green carpet.

Please see my pics and recommend me any tips for improving the condition of the plants. As you see they are struck from the handling during the travel. They look bruised. In fact, if u notice the traps are all kinda turned inside out with convex sides. I guess the traps wanted more sunlight which obviously lacked during the travel.

thanks,

varun

Just put them in a big pot. Really, terraria are totally unnecessary, and invite problems like fungus and algae. Plus, they're undrained, which is definitely undesirable in VFT containers. None of your plants pictured need (or appreciate) the conditions a terrarium supplies; to grow them in a terrarium will continuously compromise their health. The VFTs can survive, but it will probably be an uphill battle to keep the capensis alive, as high humidity plus sugary Drosera dew is a perfect recipe for mold. It's normal for shipped plants to be floppy, because they're at a different angle relative to the soil and light source than the container that they were previously grown in. New leaves, provided proper conditions and adaquate light, will orient themselves correctly. By the look of things, your plants weren't getting enough light before you purchased them, so you'll need to take care and gradually introduce them to higher light levels.  Aquafina is purified by reverse osmosis, but be aware that many bottled waters contain salt and other additives to enhance taste that will not jive well with CPs. If you can find it, ordinary distilled or RO water is preferable and cheaper to boot. Also, exposed perlite is an open invitation to algae, and will float in standing water, slowly eroding away at the slope you provided. Better to get a small length of pipe or something similar to sink into the soil to provide an outlet for removing water. Better still to get a drained container and not worry about the tedious task of removing excess water by hand - there's a reason experienced growers use drained containers.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have to be real careful picking the CP cultivation instructions you choose to follow; many people get their information from vendors who would like nothing better than for you to come buy more plants from them when your CPs die from well-intentioned improper care.
~Joe

Thank you for the sugestions.

This is what I plan on doing to improve llight conditions

I will put the aquarium near a south facing window AND even during daytime...I will put a 13 watt fluoroscent light on it. Hopefully the sunlight + white light should be enough.

The real plants that I am concerned are the VFT's. The sundew was a complimentary gift....VFT's is my main reason for this setup. It kinda feels sad to hear that this setup is unnecessary. yet...I already did it and uni is starting in 3 days. I cannot spend any more on these things. I rather try them out like this for this year. Next yr...depending on how its going...I'll make more changes.

About the water...right now for these remaining few days...around for a week or so.....I will use aquafina. is it harmful to the plant? it seems to be RO + no other salts or additives according to the website www.aquafina.com . After my labs start...I will steal some distilled water ;) .

Once snowing starts I'll collect a lot of snow make it into water and store a crate of water bottles for next spring growth of VFT's.

So what should I do to this setup? modifications regarding the perlite?

The reason I kept some of it open is to suck out the stagnant water as required when I water it freshly with more new aquafina water. Since I really cannot spend or afford to re-change the container...is there any other way to provide an outlet for the water through the perlite layer??

I got my instructions from http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/howtoplantaterrarium.html

I heard from here that its a generic terrarium. I rather start off with something simple and cheap than gooo too deep without any experience.

Thanks for all these comments seedjar. Can you please provide some more outlook on how to improve my lacking concepts in the terrarium? As I said...I care about the VFT's. I don't mind the sundew as much as the VFT's. its ironic that VFTs require soo much maintenance. MAN!!! one must wonder how there isnt a really hardy cultivar of VFT that can handle a lot more beating. heck...I don't mind having the dandilions in my backyard substitued by an equally voracious VFT that is very hardy. Almost as hardy as it can be grown as a indoor plant.

lol! enough dreams....back to reality....

so seedjar....what do I do with the open perlite? do I cover it with the moss?? or is there another easy solution?

once again...as I said....VFTs are my only concern. The light prob will be solved soon.....The water prob isn't that bad....humidity according to you guys and ICPS is fine as in mine....what else is the prob??? Dormancy is taken care of..as I will put them into dormancy starting from november till feb in stages. i will open the window to expose it to low temps....the day light lowered during winter...this should probably trigger dormancy.

any other things??

BTW...a little OT....notice the small yellow seeds...it came with the moss...I don't know what it is.....
smile_o_32.gif

Just cover the perlite with peat and it'll be fine. If you can find a small section of plastic pipe, bury it in the peat to create a space where you can draw out excess water. Alternatively, you can cut the bottom off of a plastic bottle and do the same thing. Perlite will still rise with the water level, but with something solid to hold the rest of the media in place, erosion shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Really, VFTs and most other CPs are very easy, and require little maintenance compared to other widely cultivated plants. The trick is getting the right setup, mostly because there's so much misinformation out there. Your water will be fine for the time being - if Aquafina is truly sodium-free, then it will probably work indefinitely, but you pay for the fancy label, designer bottles and advertising, which is the major reason why I say ordinary purified water is better.
Take a look at the following sources:
Barry Rice's CP FAQ
Sarracenia NW's VFT Care Sheet
California Carnivores' VFT Care Sheet (Kind of redundant and not quite as good as the above, but still worth looking over.)
Additionally, poke around in the previous posts here on the VFT forum. You will find that almost all of your questions have already been asked and answered by other people.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back