What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear VFT growers, please help fast

my total knowledge used to make this terrarium is based on the first link. ICPS..barry rice's faq on VFT. it is really amazing and taught me a lot about these plants.

img1342xa9.jpg

is this what u mean about covering up the perlite and adding a pipe + a plastic container to get water??? But since water will be in perlite layer...I don't see the purpose exactly. The pipe should be in perlite for anything.. IMO.

The pipe should be sticking up vertically, so that one end is open above the planting mix, and the other end is sunk into the perlite (but not all the way to the bottom of the terrarium.) What I'm saying is that if the water level rises beyond the perlite, the layer will float, and the perlite under the peat will be coaxed out as well, leading your slope to collapse. So, stick a pipe in the perlite, cover the perlite outside of the pipe with peat, and then the water will pool inside the pipe without letting any media to collapse into the empty space, allowing you to remove the excess.
~Joe

aaah...I understand....

lol! I was thinking of a drain pipe habitat.

anyways...bad news....

I was browsing the forum and found that the yellow balls are actually fertilizer which the VFT is apparently very sensitive to.

I was talking to mabudon and he said I should try and get it out.

I tried but...noticed the entire medium contaminated
confused.gif

So I took out the plants again. wet them with water...put them back into the plastic container for another day. I removed as much possible substrate from the tank. tomorrow along with this + orginal bag...I am trying to return it to walmart.

darn...darn darn...

I don't know why its soo hard to get proper stuff....SHEESH...

I guess I'll see if I can go to a garden center instead and see if they have some pure peat. I thought brand names are better. But... darn...only happens with me...
smile_h_32.gif

Well...I guess I will see and get a bale if I can...even though I don't need it. I guess these VFT's are going to have to stand my 2 pottings in around one day.

darn....

darn...
smile_h_32.gif

FINALLY here is the final revision and NEW terrarium of mine.

The old one I made apparently had schultz moss which contained fetilizer. I was away since 11 AM today morning....took buses, returned a 4 $ moss....then came back got the smallest bale of peat moss possible for less than 4 $. (I know...but I want little...not a big bale). Now the time is 5 PM after finishing everything.

Finally.....this time I took some drainage considerations and already it seems to be working well. Thanks to a member on the forum here seedjar or someone who advised me about it.

so here are pics:

OLD TERRARIUM....near a south facing window + a 13 watt white light bulb

ter23xj3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW revisions:

Once again...removed everything in the aquarium. cleaned it with tap water. Then used FRESH perlite.

I took a risk with teh new plants this time. All highlighted in blue. They came packaged with some wet LFS. This time...I put them in a shallow pot with fresh rain water....removed all the LFS carefully....didn;t see big bulbs AT ALL...all I saw was black root fibers. I carefully then put it in the mixture and drew the mixture from the sides without pressing the plant. I did this for all the plants. SO I guess I'll know if it was a mistake in a few months ;)

But I think confidently this time its done right.
biggrin.gif
. The moss bale had just too much crap ie., sticks in it. But nothing else.

Is it just me or spaghnum moss just looks like compost out of the bale.

anyways...I didn't waste the LFS. I cut some up in between my hands and put it around the empty spaces. I buried some...I left some intact.

so here are pics.

ter21vy6.jpg

ter22us1.jpg

ter24ff6.jpg

BTW...the corner plant is still in its walmart plant. I'll repot it after this winters dormancy.

ter25ig7.jpg

Hopefully this time..its good.
biggrin.gif

cheers,

vraev

do you guys know if I can grow LIVE sphagnum moss like that?
confused.gif

And how many years 2 or 3 can I use this mixture for?

Back