What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take for a typical leaf + trap

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

As you can see in the pics on my sig...I have this little setup with 4 VFT's. I am getting a couple more soon right off tissue culture. Now Keehns has told me that tissue culture plants are very strong and show amazing recovery right off tissue culture when planted. I am noticing this as ...its been 2 weeks and all my new plants have adjusted well and show growth...There were few (2) per plant trap and leaf losses but it was not too bad.

Now the traps on those plants are fine...BUT...notice this:::

EXHIBIT 1

1409060108hx1.jpg

The first is the trap of my DENTATE. It was the one from walmart. I guess I can SAY that it is healthy becos there are many more small shoots coming from the base. (2 to be precise). Now this specific one (the small one to the right)...has been like this for atleast 2 weeks..with little to almost none progress.

EXHIBIT 2
1409060109bj8.jpg

However, exhibit 2 is the BRAND NEW trap from my new 2 weeks ago recieved tissue cultured B-52. As you can see...in these two weeks that was fast growth. That seems normal as the leaf is aptly sized...and the trap is BECOMING the right size.

Just to report the growing conditions....My plants grow in 70% peat+ 30% perlite...kinda not uniform....the lighting involves INDIRECT....DIM light.... well......light from a north or south facing window.(not sure)...NO DIRECT SUN. Yet....I use this OTT-LITE lamp for atleast 18 hrs in a day.

OTL13BPB_md.jpg

http://www.ott-lite.com/productdetail.asp?product_id=42

Now....some of the traps have to be more apt....a minor redness in them..... not entirely as it is SUPPOSED TO bE for a B52.

1409060116ug5.jpg

But I guess....as long as the plants grow atleast slowly but kinda healthy till next april...that should be fine till I go back to home from uni. There really isn'tmuch more I can do for light....I am a uni student....last yr I had a east facing window....but Alas! This yr ...I wasn't fortunate enough.

So my question would be.....how long does it take for a regular VFT to make a new leaf entirely? The tissue culture ones seem pretty fast. All of them are in this same stage now....the leaves are ready to get their teeth and semi opening in the process. How long does it take to reach full size and growth for the leaf??

-------excuse my crappy 0.3 MP cell phone camera----------

regards,

vraev

13 watts is not enough to grow a Dionaea well, much less anything else. Your plants look etoliated. Also, this time of year the plants should be getting ready for dormancy, 18 hours is too much.

In optimal conditions, about a week.

What is an easy type of minimal light required (table sized lamp) that I need to get my VFT's to grow NORMALLY and happily?

thanx

vraev

Oh i dunno. I grow mine on a lake at our cabin in full sun
smile.gif

They are very light hungry.

How about this one? I am planning one or 2. But I wont mind someting smaller? any suggestions??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortm....ch=true

0524066_450_CC_1b4a7.jpg

Lights your plants fast and easy
No special wiring required - just plug in to use
Does not need a fixture
Frosted lens
Rotary switch
Uses one fluorescent tube with a maximum wattage of 33
2"h x 2"d x 25"l (5.1 x 5.1 x 63.5 cm)

However, the problem is that my terrarium is only 45 cm long. I would prefer something that size....but I got no idea what to do now.

how about this one?? the good size

0525793_450_CC_45be9.jpg

Premium twin under-cabinet lights
Extra outlet
No hum, flicker-free
Turns out instantly
Stardardized length to align with designer kitchens, home offices, and studios

If you have to grow inside, then 2 of the second one would be best.

unfortunately ..I DO HAVE TO grow them inside and unfortunately my uni room has a south facing window..so NO DIRECT light at all. This is why I turn on the suppliment light even though it is getting some light shade.

However, interestingly...the side that gets the light shade from direct sun is actually having sime traps with red hue in them...so i guess its an indication of the power and efficiency and requirement of sunlight.

However, hopefully the tube should make it a bit happier.

BTW....I notice that on a VFT...there seems to be a LEAF with NO TRAP...instead just a small black pod...kinda like the trap stopped developing and leaf just grew.

Are there any signs to watch for bugs? and fungus??

I just ordered the "Savage garden: CP" book from amazon for 30$ canadian.

darn...this hobby is becoming more and moreexpensive....:(...but I can't stop caring after coming soo far.

If your plants are new, the aborted trap is just it adjusting.

Keep your plants close to the tubes.

Back