What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I build a terranium?

Can anyone help with plans/tips/tricks on how I can build a terranium for my VFT, Pitchers and Sundews?

Thanks
smilie4.gif

What kind of piytcher plants and which sundews are you considering for a terrarium? If they are American pitcher plants, they won't do well there. They really belong outside, as do VFT's. Actually, aside from aesthetic appeal, terrariums require a bit of maintenance and mold control. Can you be pursuaded to trt outside or window sills? Asian pitcher plants and some sundews and butterworts do well in terrariums, though.

Some window sill pics:

D_binata.jpg

Drosera_capensis.jpg

AF002801.jpg

AF001101.jpg

AR000102.jpg

Outside:

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_la.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 15 2006,6:23)]...aside from aesthetic appeal, terrariums require a bit of maintenance and mold control. Can you be pursuaded to trt outside or window sills?

Hmmm... it was for aesthetic reasons, maybe I should rethink this! Most important is to keep my plants healthy

smile_n_32.gif

I LOVE your pics. What kind is the 5th pic? I haven't seen that one before.

Thanks for the advice
Much appreciated
smilie4.gif

Oh you live in south africa! Is the humidity high there? If so I don't think you'd need a terrarium except maybe for highland plants.

Grow it outside for the growing season, then stick it in the fridge for "winter". Jimscotts fabulous plant is a D. paradoxa
biggrin.gif

I live quite far inland and also high in altitude and low in humidity. I think I've changed my mind about a terranium and will rather stick to a window-box
smile_n_32.gif

Looks like Clint already anwered the one question. The best thing about the window sill set up, with pots in a plastic container of water is that it is an easy, inexpensive, low maintenance way of approximating what is happening in nature. The water in which it sits provides the humidity it needs, irregardless of how dry the room is. All you have to do is keep up with evaporation. Transpiration takes care of itself. I may have a "ghetto" setup, but it can also be done with aesthetics. I tend to think in terms of pragmatism.
biggrin.gif

Back