What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy in San Diego?

I was wondering if I could still use the fridge method for my VFTs..
The average temps here in SD don't usually go below 55, so I am curious if dormancy could be triggered; or is dormancy triggered?
I'm not sure, because if I can't get dormancy in, the plants will die, and I will just sell them. Thanks!

Dormancy is triggered from the change in light period (hours of light a day) and change in temperature.

Fridge dormancy will work but there will be a chance that things don't go 100% smoothly since your plants won't be dormant when you put them in the fridge. Dig out your VFTs, moisten the media the bulb are in, treat the media with some kind of fungicide (ground cinnamon can work), ziplock bag it and throw it in your fridge.

Okay, thanks! Also, when is a good time to start putting the traps into dormancy? I plan on making mine in January, is that a bit too late? I'm kind of a newbie. Thanks!

January is kinda too late seeing as though everyone usually go dorment around this time or next month. Maybe it could be good use you are in a warmer climate.

You will probably have some serious issues to deal with if you place your non-dormant plants in the fridge. I live in Southern California also, but I live in a high desert region where the outside temps. are ideal.

If I were you, I would wait for colder temps (propbaly until late November) and probably move the VFT's to a shaded area to encourage a semi-dormancy trigger. By waiting until late November, you will allow you VFT's to experiance the coldest temps and the shortest daylight length your area encounters BEFORE the typical dormancy period.

Also you do not have to "dig out" your VFT's and bag them. You can simply bag the enitre pot with the plant and place it in the fridge.

Here is a link to a great step by step method of how to go about the fridge method:
http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....tychaos

Good luck!!!!

I live in San Diego and my VFT's and sarracenia stay outside year round. I pretty much stop watering them in November until February. I do keep the soil wet though, just not swamped like in the summer.
Where in San Diego do you live?

Chula Vista?
Yeah, CNCreefer, do your plants stay healthy and alive?

Yeah my plants are growing like weeds. Nice and healthy
smile_n_32.gif

I live in North Park, off the 805 and El Cajon Blvd.

Alright, so do you think it'll be fine to leave them out this year?

Are the temps fairly the same there?

Back