What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black VFT?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Allright GOOD i am glad it's just dormancy, to review dormancy ill just keep it ouside all winter and it will adjust accordingly, I just need to keep it moist, Right?

Well, the old leaf is not a sign of dormancy since leaves go yellow and then black from old age throughout the year.

Your plant looks healthy and your dormancy plans seem fine, although keep your plant sheltered away from wind over the winter.

Your plant will show signs of dormancy in the next few weeks probably.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 18 2006,5:36)]For now keep it moist. I like dry dry my temperates to within 2 inches of their life in winter
smile.gif
I like to keep my VFT submerged in water during the winter. Only trouble I've had with that is they're in the fridge, and my wife once took a container of them to work, thinking they were her lunch salad.
----------------------
I am 50 y.o., 5'11" tall, and I've been 200lbs for more than 2 decades now. Works pretty well, but I'd like to lose about 20 lbs so I could weight 180 lbs, like I did when I was 25 y.o.

lol, everything you do works out, joe!

all of my temperate plants are dormant right now, and for some reason my green dragon vfts are much darker than before, not like a purpleish red but an almost black color.

lol! I'm a little over 6 foot and 15 years old, and currently weigh 132 pounds.

My dionaea has been adapted to tropical condition. It has no dormancy time anymore. But my new arrival dionaea became darken due long journey from west- to east-java, only 4 leaves remain green. :(
Hope it will ok soon... small leaves have been seen.

I think you've seen the other thread where your VFT does actually want to go dormant!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (syx @ Nov. 05 2006,7:56)]My dionaea has been adapted to tropical condition. It has no dormancy time anymore. But my new arrival dionaea became darken due long journey from west- to east-java, only 4 leaves remain green.
smile_h_32.gif

Your plant will grow a couple years then fizzle out and die.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 06 2006,2:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (syx @ Nov. 05 2006,7:56)]My dionaea has been adapted to tropical condition. It has no dormancy time anymore. But my new arrival dionaea became darken due long journey from west- to east-java, only 4 leaves remain green.
smile_h_32.gif

Your plant will grow a couple years then fizzle out and die.
yep..its true..
anyone who says they have a VFT "adapted to not need dormancy" has been growing VFTs 2 years or less! ;)

humans can also be adapted to not need any sleep..
for as long as 11 days.
then the "adaptation" abrubtly ends..in death.

Scot

lol! I agree...I was kinda adamant and planned on skipping dormancies for my VFT's....but then finally I agreed and put them in....now their leaves have all turned black and they are sleeping damp with a solid white corm.

There is a reason why experts like xscd, scottychaos
smile_n_32.gif
etc.. all say VFT's require dormancy...they have been growing them for years now....they obviously must have tried a skip for one of their plants and noticed the effect.

Check every single website on the internet which has reasonable VFT instructions...every single one says dormancy is required in winter.

Back