What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf cuttings?

Okay, I want to propogate some new VFTs, and have read there are a variety of ways of producing new VFTs by leaf cutting.

I know the method where you simply pull the leaf off(the white part too) and simply lay it on some potting mix and wait.

I have heard about the water method, but still don't know how exactly it is done. I have read you "cut" the leaf of the leaf cutting
and put it into a cup of water and wait for the VFTs to grow? I am not sure if I read it correctly but I am willing to know the 'water' method.

Thanks!

I think you need to thoroughly rinse a test tube or container with bleach, rinse well and fill with distilled water. Plonk in your piece of rhizome and seal the top.

You can also try live sphagnum if you want speed. I heard that of all the ways to take leaf cuttings, water propagation is the slowest, and when a plantlet does form, it will mature very slowly. Using live sphagnum will make cuttings root fast and grow well afterwards.

I have had the most success with what uglypho suggested - nestling the basal part of the leaf within the live LFS... and waiting s few weeks. i have gotten a cluster of new plants from the leaves.

Back