What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT update 2

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
here is my end of the month VFT update
smile.gif

The plants seem to be pulling along well. They just got a magnificent meal of crickets.
smile.gif
juicy plump ones.
biggrin.gif

All plants are pulling along well. It does kinda look etoliated compared to some of the amazing plants that some ppl grow here outdoors...but this is all I can do for now. Hence I am happy that they are atleast growing fine.

The traps are a lot redder than what u can see in the pic. Its just becos the red traps have the crickets in them and the new traps are for some reason still turning red slowly.

Apart from that...the new leaves of the red dragon are getting some green parts. This is probably what a few of the guys here warned me about growing it in this low light conditions. but I am happy that it is atleast alive and kicking well.
biggrin.gif
I fed it 3 crickets.
biggrin.gif

Any comments and feedback would be appreciated.

cheers,

vraev

wheres your B-52? all of them look awesome dude. it takes good lighting to make that red-dragon red.... looking good!
Alex

B-52 is the 2nd pic and the 4th pic which has my finger in it for size of trap. I have no ruler and lol! all I could measure is via my finger indents
smile.gif
The B-52 is one good grower.
biggrin.gif

that trap(estimating the size of your fingers) is probably 1.5 inches! maby more...
Alex

Very nice VFT's. Mine look pretty bad sence there starting there way into dormancy. When do you start putting them into dormancy??

Well...I already put 2 other VFT's ..1 green dragon and 1 dentate + 1 baby typical into dormancy as they slowed down and started blackening. These plants are fresh off TC and hence they are growing well and good. I plan on keeping them growing all the way till next winter. However, if they do show any dormancy signs..then I will fridge them too.
biggrin.gif

However, if any ..I need to be concerned about my "two blade wonder"
smile_n_32.gif
...its the typical in the first pic. that is one which I have been warned that it is a year + off TC and requires dormancy. I did not put it in then since it had no leaves and wanted it to get acclaimatised and stronger.

It is the only slow grower and based on how it does in the next 2 months...I'll fridge it as well.

The dentate u see peeping into one of the pics here is the new dentate I bought few days ago from rona lansing. This one I dont know if its off TC...but my plan is too keep it growing as well.

@ glider,

Thanx for the comments. yeah...the B-52 trap is definately bigger than 1 inch. I heard that B-52 traps can become as big as 2 inches or more. So i guess I need to keep growing it and see when it reaches maximum size. Also remember that this is also a fresh off TC plant that is equivalent of a 2-3 yr old. So the older it gets the bigger it will become. But thats only if it can survive well through my handling. ;)

They all look healthy.

Is that live sphagnum you are using for your top layer of your substrate??

Keep up the good work!!!

yeah..it is live sphagnum.
smile.gif
I got some from rick keehns ...to be exact its newzealand sphagnum cristatum or something like that
smile_n_32.gif
. Its soo amazing. Infact sphag is one of my fav plants (if moss can be called a plant ;) ). Its soo intricate. its actually laid on top of dead sphagnum as a base on peat moss. So basically now there seem to be new shoots coming from the dead moss. When ever I pour any water...I can actually see the water moving through the sphagnum. And remarkably...the dead sphagnum is actually being used as a reservoir...as water poured on the live green can be seen passing inside the dead sphag as well.
biggrin.gif

Of course..the problem then may be the moss absorbs alll the water without passing it into the peat where the roots of the plants are.
smile_n_32.gif
In either case...it shouldn't be too bad.
biggrin.gif

On overall I love sphagnum. However, it looks really shabby considering that half is dead sphagnum on top of which there is some live green. The live green is defianately growing...but eventually ...I want to get all live green sphag to completely carpet the terrarium green.
biggrin.gif

Ic ic...

Your pictures make your substrate look like a living jungle floor. The moss looks like a carnivorous plant itself!! It looks really cool. (It's probaly becuase of the lighting of the pics).

yeah...the camera is horrible. 0.3 megapixel cell phone cam. However, thanx a lot everyone for the compliments. Good to know that the plants are looking ok not just in my eyes.
smile.gif

BTW...I never found this out after all the reading I did on VFT's...

WHY DO the VFT's LEAF origins..i.e., near the bulb have red colouration. its intense red colouration. Right at the very bulb origin and start of the leaf.

Notice my pics. Especially all the green plants....see the bottom of every leaf...tere is intense red tint. Why??

Back