What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning:"Silver springs" distlled water tainted.

• Thread starter Andy1
  • Start date
Hey, just wanted all of you to know I recently bought a PPM meter to test the distilled water I was buying and to test rainwater; Out of the 3 distilled water brands I checked, "Silver springs" brand contained more than 13% TDS.
The others read "000"%- rainwater from my roof is about 3%, and rainwater collected in a bucket in the rain read 1%.

I contacted the Silver springs company and asked them what the contaminant was over 2 weeks ago, still no answer. I had trouble raisingTriops before,it was probably because of the SS water. Avoid it, despite it's claims of steam-distilled, ozone filtered, UV, etc.
"Crystal" and "Dixie" water both registered 000%, that's what I use now.

That's weird because the silver springs around Tallahassee have a bunch of aquatic utrics growing in them.

13 tds is fine.

13ppm in the TDS meter isn't that bad. For raising Triops maybe. Nepenthes can take up to 150ppm and all other cps ideally should be well below 100ppm TDS perhaps a value like 35ppm. On a side note even with Nepenthes if you are using any water witha significant value above 50ppm TDS then you should either regularly repot or flush pots with 0ppm TDS water to remove any accumulated salts which can have negative impacts on that plants growth.

Back