What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is there gonna b a problem?

there was a dead trap and i pulld it and it took the rest of the plant w it out of the soil
is that bad?

It probably won't be a mojor problem.
If the plant came out without major trauma (snapping, movement, etc) to the roots, then the plant will just suffer from minor stress. Even if the roots were moved around a little bit, it still wouldn't present a major problem.

Next time, try to use trimmers or scissors to cut off the dead leafs.

Those leaves are fakers.  They look all black and rotten so you yank on them and suddenly they have the strength of a steel cable and yank the plant out.  Now i give it a gentle tug...if nothing...get out my small scissors and cut it.  

Been there and done that....brings back memories....
jestera.gif

lol
ill do that from now on
by the way, is it safe for the plant if i leave it out all year?
the winter has rain and wind
do u think that would b too intense?

It should be extremely safe to let it outside all year in your growing zone.They can even withstand a slight frost. I use the tray method to gorw my plants.Some morning their will be ice in my grow trays. This doen't seem to bother my plants
I live in Sonoma County. Have been growing for 7 years. flytraps all outside year round.
Might have to pour some water out when it rains too heavily.The one thing that you don't want is for the crown of the plant to be submerged under water for a long period of time.
Lois

Oh, hey you live in Oxnard!!! A fellow Californian!

About your question:
I would definitely leave them outside during the growing season. But during late fall and winter (dormancy)... hmm this is a tricky one..
You live near the coast, so that means that your winters are warmer than they are inland (where I live). What are your average monthly temps for the dormancy months?

howd u know i live in oxnard?
i dont know the temps but there are times when the rains intense
this is my first year growin them and i dont want them completely flooded by rain
the water i use is pure water, if rain hits the soil, would different water damage the plant?
mayb i should put an umbrella over my flytraps lol

Rain hitting the media won't hurt the plant. If it rains too hard it may wash some of the media out of the pot.Jest kee an eye on it.I wouldn't place an umbrella over it. it(the umbrella ) will proably be blown over and it may land on your flytrap
Oxnard is in your profilr ft T F
Lois

I have a bog garden that I tend to at my school, and among other things it has a venus flytrap. I live in northern Virginia, and it gets well below freezing in the winter, and the VFT does perfectly fine if bedded in pine needles.
Brian

Back