What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is it dormancy time yet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nad if the temperatura fells below -7C to put in a fridge?
^I don't understand your question...

Provided they had adequate time to go dormant they should be able to tolerate brief periods of temps below -7C, perhaps a week or so. If you have an unheated garage, basement or attic window you may want to move them there. Another possibility is covering the plants in mulch, like old pine needles or straw/hay and then with a tarp or cloth. The fridge if that's the only option left.

We're talking average minimum temp when I say -7C so just because it dips to -8C one need not panic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Dec. 12 2006,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nad if the temperatura fells below -7C to put in a fridge?
^I don't understand your question...
sorry, i misspelled
blush.gif

and if the temperatura fells below -7C should i to put it in a fridge?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Not a Number @ Dec. 12 2006,8:36)]Provided they had adequate time to go dormant they should be able to tolerate brief periods of temps below -7C, perhaps a week or so. If you have an unheated garage, basement or attic window you may want to move them there. Another possibility is covering the plants in mulch, like old pine needles or straw/hay and then with a tarp or cloth. The fridge if that's the only option left.

We're talking average minimum temp when I say -7C so just because it dips to -8C one need not panic.
well, i don't have garage nor any of your mentioned places  
sad.gif

old pine needles neither. will crumpled old newspaper work the same way like mulch from needles?  
scratch.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well, i don't have garage nor any of your mentioned places
old pine needles neither. will crumpled old newspaper work the same way like mulch from needles?

I think several items may work just fine for covering them in cold temperatures. Check this out:
http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=21501
I think the pictures are really helpful.

Also, like Not a Number mentioned, if you can't do that and if temperatures continue to be too low, then just place your VFT's in the fridge. Here is another link to a helpful fridge method post in case you need it (thanks Scot!):

http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=16597

Good luck!
oh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 12 2006,10:08)]old pine needles neither. will crumpled old newspaper work the same way like mulch from needles?
scratch.gif
I suppose if you have a paper shredder (the strip kind not cross-cut) fluffed up shredded newspaper would work fine. The idea is to create lots of tiny air spaces to act as insulation.

I recently got a package the guy had used finely strip shredded newspaper as the packing material and it worked fine - like excelsior from times past.

interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice

Just say you need to use it for your kitty litter; they'll understand...
laugh.gif
oh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Dec. 12 2006,3:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]interesting idea about shredded paper! and after all, my colegues allready think that i'm crazy, so it wouldn' make any difference if i take shredded paper from the ofice

Just say you need to use it for your kitty litter; they'll understand...
laugh.gif

oh.gif
i have 2 kitties... and that is one of the reasons, why they think i'm crazy  
IMG_0426.jpg

If you're limited by not having a basement, attic, or a cold window sill, I think your best bet would be the afore-mentioned fridge method, espoused by Scottychaos. A couple winters ago I had my VFT's between the storm and inner windows of the kitchen. That wasn't working out too well, so I tried a screened in porch. That was okay until we had a cold snap. The soil froze. Horrified, I put the 2 two inch pots in the butter keeper, where they resided for the rest of December and January. In February, I brought them to work with me (environmental laboratory) and had them in a sample fridge. In March I put them on a cold and draft window sill, in my work area. In April I put them outside, where they soon flowered. Then they promptly got gnawed by critters.... but that's another legacy. And now I have them in our cold attic, by the window sill, where they just go dormant and wake up on their own.

Cute cats, BTW. Got any Maine Coon kittens?

well, i decided just don't worry while winter is so warm like autumn (it's still +4 C outside and it's 20:30 o'clock, so it's late evening). our forecasters forecast warm winter till february! which is not common here...  and then later i'll jusl see what to do ;)
what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"  
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 13 2006,10:30)]what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"
rock.gif
He probably has a few kittens looking for a good home
wink.gif.gif

oh no 2 cats in 1 room flat is enough but for homeless VFT i would find some space

hey guys......a bit on topic .....I had my VFT's put into the fridge at the beginning of october. is it ok if I can take them out in january??? that is 3 months right???

The typical dormancy period is from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day (this date range may shift depending on mother nature's mood, though), which is about 3 months. Remember, they start to slow down once temps start falling (mid fall) and they have a "start-up" period (when they start coming back to life) once temps start to get warmer (late winter-early spring).
So, you could go a bit longer in the fridge if you wanted to; the rule of thumb is around 3 months of true dormancy. The only problem I can notice is that it will be January, so it WILL be cold, especially up in Canada. You'll just have to make sure they get heat in the terarium after a transition period (from the cold fridge to a warm terarium). You still are planning to grow them in there right?

Ok, I have to get back to studying.
tounge.gif

Good luck and keep us posted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Dec. 13 2006,8:31)]hey guys......a bit on topic .....I had my VFT's put into the fridge at the beginning of october. is it ok if I can take them out in january??? that is 3 months right???
I wish I could quantify the variables that go into dormancy, like saying that photoperiod would be 60% and temperature represents maybe 30%, while less water and a nonexistant food source being the rest.... but I can't. These plants respond to a variety of stimuli that work together. I would say, though, that photoperiod predominates over temps because while temps ebb and flow, photoperiod heads in one direction, then the other. Most of us have experienced the phenomenon of crocus popping up in December or January, due to a good thaw. And then when the temps freeze again, the plants adjust and they resume growth later on in the season.

Having said all that, once you remove the plants, it would be best to put them in a slightly warmer place, preferably a cold window sill. As one oughtn't move them from 70->40F(21->4 C), one shouldn't pull them out of the fridge and place them at room temp.

You could remove them in January, just make their transition as gradual as possible, if possible. I did mine in a circuitous fashion and they responded.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 13 2006,1:30)]well, i decided just don't worry while winter is so warm like autumn (it's still +4 C outside and it's 20:30 o'clock, so it's late evening). our forecasters forecast warm winter till february! which is not common here...  and then later i'll jusl see what to do ;)
what do you mean "Maine Coon kittens"  
rock.gif
Maine Coon Cats Link

That's an American breed of cat that is characterized by long hair, tufted ears, sturdy legs, and sweet disposition, not unlike my 17 year old son!

Okay.... it's our favourite breed of cat.

great to know that guys. Thanks...I guess I will wait till jan end then. well...my terrarium actually goes from 60 F at night to 70F under lights at day...so I was planning of removing it at night,...then putting it in the terrarium directly.

Back