What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytraps

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
My big pot of flytraps. One seasons growth.
I wasn't looking for any seed, so I didn't let any of them flower.
Once they got going I just put the pot on the ground in full sun.
They fed themselves and nature did the rest.
justplantedur0.jpg
justplanteduv0.jpg
612062zi2.jpg
bigpotofflytrapstm0.jpg

WOW! thats alot of red!
Alex

So this is the fella that "borrowed" my VFT's.

Pretty darn nice. What were the VFT's labeled as when you got them?

OMG! Flytrap heaven! [insert smiley that has hearts for eyes]

In the first picture are all the leaves and traps cut off? How long were the plants living in the pot before the first picture was taken?

Those are really impressive traps, Thanx for sharing
Lois

The first picture was taken just after I potted them up.
I had removed all leaves for dormancy in my fridge.
This picture goes with the rest. I unpotted them all, cleaned them and cut all leaves for winter storage in my fridgerator. I must say that I don't always go threw that much trouble prepareing them for dormancy. Too much work!! Usually every other year I unpot them. Right now that pot is pretty much the same, just in my basement where it is cool enough for dormancy. During the summer I just set the pot on the ground not messing with it, unless we were not getting any rain for a while I would water them. I didn't bother feeding them, they do pretty good on there own. I saw a yellow jacket flying around the pot once. Didn't take long, he was toast!
If I can find the picture I will put it up here of a real close up shot of them.
Oh by the way, the year before I did let them flower. It took twice as long for the plants to recover and look red. I only let them flower if I have the urge for seed, which is not very often.
Later
readyfordormancyim0.jpg

Some extra shots.
The first two are of my big pot of flytraps. As far as I know they are all typical flytraps. Over the years I usually divide them to get more. The other pic is red dragon, big mouth,and some seedlings.
Later
dsc00205tu1.jpg
dsc00250hu9.jpg
dsc00206aj1.jpg

omg! omg! Holy crap! WOW.....WOOW......speechless.....I am without speech. ####! that's nice. WOW. WOW.....can I?? Could i?? wow.....holy mother of god!! WOW!

How long does it take in a plant's growth cycle when they start getting like 20-30 traps on a single plant like that. The maximum at which my plant is at is like 12.

Vraev, Its called a growth habit. Usually 6 to 10 leaves is the maximum. If you do get more leaves than that, then you are probably in for a suprise. More leaves in amounts like that mostly happens before a split. The rhizome of your VFT may split into 2 or even 3 plants. I have had true giant VFT's with 2 1/2 inch leaves (traps) and 14 inches across. Not common at all, but they do happen. Patience and perfect growing conditions usually cause their wonderful production of leaves and size is usually because of age. Some of my plants are 30+ years old.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Jan. 07 2007,11:42)]omg! omg! Holy crap! WOW.....WOOW......speechless.....I am without speech. ####! that's nice. WOW. WOW!
What he said!

Those are some really nice looking pots of VFT's.

wow....30 year old plants...now those you would never give away. lol! #### thats old!! My big B-52 which is around 3 years hardened in tissue culture and only 4 months old in soil is around 6 inches. across the leaves. The traps are around a inch and a half. I heard that these grow to 2 and a half inch traps too. SO I guess I only have to wait a few years to see this take off.
smile.gif

But wow.....how the heck can you buy VFT's (typicals or certain clones) in bulk like that. I can do that with dentate's since all walmarts, all canadian tire's, home depot's....every nursery here gets their VFT's from colsanti who have nothing else apart from that disgusting dentate. I really love all the other cultivars.

another question Mr. VFT expert..lol! I'm serious.....perhaps the only other VFT pics that are in the same league as these ones were xscd's legendary VFT pots.
smile.gif
. How old are those plants. MAN!! they look terrific. and how many plants do you have. You know...I want to grow like 100 plants like that maybe 2 years from now. lol! I'm serious.
biggrin.gif

Vraev, I think Cook's has up to 60 typicals on his site. JMatt's plants are amazing and shows how beautiful "Typical" VFT's can get.

I have about 180 VFT's. They are scattered throughout my collection. 90% of them were wild collected by the Carolina Biological Supply Company when collecting was not an issue. Now, they too do TC. I personally hate TC'ed plants, and cross pollinate all my VFT's for genetic diversity. I get so many varieties, I just call them VFT's as that is what they are, just with varying genetics. I did get some "cultivars" but my pride are my ancient (like me!) babies. My favorite is the so called Dingley's Giant, though it is no where near as big as my 33 year olds. Also, if you haven't yet, read any and all pinned topics in the forum discussion lists inside the VFT, Sarracenia, Butterwort, etc, pages. If you need help viewing all the subjects, just ask. A large part of my VFT's are in a working bog in the sarracenia pages. Find the trip to Bugweed's (in 3 parts) and have a ball. Very picture intensive.

These pictures are of the same groop of plants back in 2004 and 2005. This is just to show you that they didn't look quite as good because of flowering. I think the 2004 shot I let half flower. I was on a seed kick back then. Seems to me that I do much better not letting them flower. The plants multiply like crazy. When I finally unpotted them in the fall (05) I think I had close to 90 plants. I started with somewhere around 30 or 40. The previous pictures that I posted, I put in a bigger pot and only put about 40 plants in.
I actually have another pot same size that I put most of the rest in. That pot never made it to our October NECPS show because one day I found my cat sleeping on the pot. They were all flat and full of cat hair. Hopefully that pot will look better next year. I haven't had to buy any flytraps for years, other than maybe some red dragons or the big mouth. I gave three very large pots of nice flytraps to fellow workers for there kids this past summer. Probably another 30 plants. They killed every one of them.
The coolest looking plant that I think I have had in a while was a nice double trap plant. Just one leaf, but they were perfect.
There are some cool shots of it on the NECPS web site.

I never baught any in bulk. I'm not sure how old these are. Some of my plants might be as much as 10-12 yrs old.
I'm really not sure how many I have, maybe 200? Maybe more?
Later
20041009necpsshowstandoki0.jpg
dsc00013on5.jpg
dsc00013xu8.jpg

Bugweed,
Sounds very cool! I will have to try and find it.

wow bugweed. All wild collected. Is it possible that you can sell me atleast a small UNIQUE wild collected VFT which u have ?? I really want to see how well a wild plant can perform in comparision to a TC one. wow...180.....man! I would love to have just 20 atleast at this time when I am just starting.

I am actually planning on doing an experiment this summer. I will buy two random dentate's at 5$ from walmart...pot them in good potting mix and leave them outside...let me see if nature takes care of them and compare them to my terrrarium specimen. I am using those dentate's because I do not want to risk any of my 2 typicals.

Back