What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFTs breaking dormancy early

I have 3 pots of VFTs. Here in OH we've had a really whacked winter with temps fluctuating between 30's-mid 50's. I noticed today when placing my plants outside for a little rain that there is some new growth coming up in all 3 pots. So my question is will it do my VFTs any harm to break dormancy early and fall back into dormancy (because I know it's only a matter of time)?

Icant say about VTF's, so this may not be relevant, but what i do know is really early emergence leaves most plants more susceptible to cold snaps that are more seasonal later down the road. A bunch of trees here got whacked with that a few years ago. Its only a danger if you are keeping your plants outdoors for extended periods, though

Sorry i cant tell ya more

Are you sure your VFT’s are breaking dormancy? A little bit of growth does not necessarily mean that they are coming out of dormancy… They still grow and produce new leaves when dormant, but at a slower rate. Plus, I don’t think your temperatures going up to the mid 50’s is enough to bring them out of their sleep; remember increased photoperiod is as vital as (if not more than) increased temperatures when coming out of dormancy.

Was the new growth rapid? Are you seeing in increase in growth rate?

How are you wintering your plants?

Oh I'm positive this isn't dormancy growth. There's prob at least 10 new small traps coming from the center all the sudden.

I'm keeping them in my unheated garage. When I get a rain here I will let them sit outside for a few hours, dump out the extra water and put them back in the garage.

i think it was from Joeseph Clemens that i heard dormant plants dont grow...above ground anyways. he was explaining that the "dormancy" that mexican pings have is not really a dormancy because they continue growth. in other words, dormant plants shouldnt grow when they are dormant. what joosa said about the small leaves is actually pre-dormancy growth. just like phyllodia with some Sarracenia. your plants are breaking dormancy Outsiders71.....but i cant really say how they will react if a cold spell comes around. i live just below you in kentucky and i can say we are having some crazy weather!! its 58* outside and raining!!!
Alex

Isn't it crazy?

I don't understand how they could be breaking dormancy either. There's not much light in my garage accept when the garage door opens and closes or when they are outside for a few hours catching rain. I wonder if I should cut the new growth and stop it from wasting energy growing?

Many people reduce watering during dormancy. It could be the increased sunlight and water from their days out signaled to the plants that spring was on the way.

My thoughts would be not to mess with Mother Nature and let them grow. I'd only start clipping if they start putting out flower stalks. I would be inclined to leave them in the garage for the duration of winter and collect rainwater to keep them moist. The reduced sunlight in the garage should slow their growth somewhat.

Temperature, photoperiod, water, etc.... are all part of the big picture with dormancy. I wouldn't cut any of the new growth off. They'll need it for photosynthesis. I also think they will do as the crocus do - get a false start and go back to slow or nearly no growth when winter resumes. I wouldn't change anything.

If it were me I'd probably just leave it alone and let nature take care of the rest. Every VFT is different, and if it wants to come out of dormancy early than let it. My guess is that this may even happen to VFT's in the wild. With my Venus fly traps I prefer to take the "natural" approach.

Dormancy isn't a 'switch' as such. Over winter they may not grow at all, or grow slowly when the temperatures allow. Even if they experience warmth for a couple of weeks, the photoperiod will indicate the time of year and new growth consists of large leaves and little traps anyway.
One of my plants even caught and digested a slug during December, so dormancy doesn't mean they're out for the count. Root growth also continues during dormancy.

Back