What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do you get vfts so big and juicy?

i see alot of vfts on youtube and the traps look juicy, red, big and with alot of traps. is it possible to grow them like that in places with really cold winters and hot summers?

The size and colouration is down to genetics and sunlight. If you have a naturally large VFT and give it maximum sunlight from March until October, you'll have an attractive plant.

Cold winters aren't a factor, but the plants like very warm or hot summers.

I live in east TN, zone 6/7. The highs have been in the upper 30s to lower 40s and lows in the mid to upper teens and twentys this week and my flytraps are outside. They have done fine like this for 3-4 years now. A couple of tricks for bigger vfts that I learned from Jacob at Sarracenia Northwest is to place some pea gravel at the base of the flytrap. The pea gravel holds heat and actually makes the soil warmer for a longer period of time as the pea gravel will hold in heat. You will notice a difference especially in spring. Another one if for bigger traps, touch one of the trigger hairs one time on a trap. This will push water into the trap. The trap will not close and the trap will retain the water. If you do this for 5-7 days, you are supposed to be able to tell a difference in the size of the trap. I haven't done this one though. Hope some of this helps! Bucky

Another one if for bigger traps, touch one of the trigger hairs one time on a trap. This will push water into the trap. The trap will not close and the trap will retain the water. If you do this for 5-7 days, you are supposed to be able to tell a difference in the size of the trap. I haven't done this one though. Hope some of this helps! Bucky

This is interesting. Has anyone done this and seen any results?

xvart.

Lol, reminds me of those spam e-mails about penile exercise lmao

^^^Lol. Yeah so I live in winnipeg and we have hot summers. The average is about 20-30 degrees celcius which is around 80 or 90 degrees fahrenheit(havent touched up on my conversions that much).

Lol, Everyone has always told me that southern Canada gets really hot in the summer, but for some reason everyone thinks of it as a frozen tundra.

Canada rocks :)

In the summer its really hot but in the winter...some days are just too cold.

You might want to find the Canadian CP site for the OCPS (Ontario Carnivorous Plant Society). Lotsa Canadians there! I have joined that forum too, and find it as pleasant as this one. Fun to chat with our neighbors. I hope to visit there someday.

Oh! As far as flytraps are comcerned, the heat is not a bad thing. Warm where they live, and plenty cold in the winter for their dormancy. As far as coloration, Look at the stickies in the VFT forum, and you will find some facts about VFT coloration, reasons, sun's involvement, etc. Should learn a lot. Lots of info their too.

YOU MEAN LIKE THIS
dionaeaB52011.jpg

WHY MIMIC THE CAROLINAS OF COURSE.
actually it helps to be able to grow them, outdoors during winter instead of having to fridge them.
they come back more robust in spring I think.

^^^Lol. Yeah so I live in winnipeg and we have hot summers. The average is about 20-30 degrees celcius which is around 80 or 90 degrees fahrenheit(havent touched up on my conversions that much).

that is what my summers are like you should be fine.

DM, i will kill you. -_-
lol
then feed you to your own VFT

The coldest winter this year so far was -48 celcius. Today in the morning was -38. Also, I'm thinking of buying a growing light but I don't have any place in my house with room that my brother and sister won't touch it.

well they are not tropcial you could put it in an unheated shed.
OH and if that be the case make some consequences for touching it.
idk get creative but don;t get in trouble.

i see alot of vfts on youtube and the traps look juicy, red, big and with alot of traps. is it possible to grow them like that in places with really cold winters and hot summers?

Are we talkin bout tomatoes or cps? :jester:

Back