What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First year seedlings and dormancy

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last year I started Sarracenia seeds and VFT leaf cuttings. I've had them in the attic in the heat of the summer and now the cold of the winter. In other words, I am putting them through dormancy, which is the opposite of nearly all the advice given about first year plants / seedlings. They are right by the window sill, as opposed to being in a baggie / in a fridge. They've been through through the lowest of the photoperiod and just experienced the coldest Arctic temps of the season. So far they don't look any worse for the wear. So hopefully they'll get through the rest of the winter without a hitch.

Hey there Jim,
Out in nature those babies aren't kept under light 24/7 for the first 2 years. So ipersonnally think they will make it.
I have had flytraps that bloom after 3 years from seed,growing them the natural way, outside.

Thanks for sharing.:-O
I am very interested in your growth results and outcomes. Please, keep us posted.

Lois: Exactly my point! Nature doesn't coddle them... but then again, i'm not sure anyone has documented how many are produced in a given year and how many survive that first year.... and there's always more replacements. Anyhoo, I agree... they should be just fine.

Here is a picture of one of my 1 year old VFT seedlings that has been grown exclusively outside for most of the year, until it became very cold a few weeks ago.

P1050645.sized.jpg

Very impressive for a one year old plant. Keep it up Dewy!

Back