What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything I can change?

Well. I've been growing a VFT that I split up and moved to a bigger pot for maybe 3 years now. While its been alive and whatnot....it has not gotten much bigger during its stay with me(as in...the number of rhizomes). Simply renewing leaves. Anything that I could do to change that? I'm thinking of repotting right now. I think one problem is that I tend to have trouble keeping them well watered and aphid free during the summer.

Any suggestions would be great!

What is it growing in now and what size pot? Do you feed the plant or just let it catch what it can on its own? How much sun does it get?

I tried "Bayer Advanced Rose and FLower Insect Killer" on my outside VFT's and Sarracenias a couple years ago for aphids, and I have never looked back.. it is a systemic insecticide and will last for over a month with just one application, rain has no effect on it

best stuff since aerosol cheese ;), unreal how well it has worked for me

Cheers'
Av

Av8tor1- Isn’t systemic insecticide harmful to any insects that get caught by your plants? :p

Right now it is growing in almost pure peat with a bit of sand. The pot is almost a foot in diameter.

Here is how it looked at its best. It generally looks something like this in early spring, takes a beating from aphids that I kill by hand, then gets smaller over summer, and sleeps over the winter. Right now it looks pretty pathetic. The D. filiformis all went to seed and dissapeared...and none of the planted seed germinated for me. I have added a Sarracenia minor that has also shown minimal growth. Its just kind of dissapointing that other people talk of taking divisions from their plants and all mine do is grow new leaves.

DSCN0618.jpg

As tempting as it is I'd like to stay away from insectiside, but have heard the affects of insecticidal soap are pretty temporary and it degrades rapidly. That may be a viable option.

I feed them occasionally, but they catch most of what they get themselves(they are outside).

If the plant is getting enough light it is normal for the leaves to change form from the long, upright, narrow petiole spring leaves to a more decumbant, shorter, broader petiole summer/autumn leaves.

See Barry Rice's FAQs

Is that what's going on?

If the leaves remain narrow, the plants are probably not enough light.

If not, when was the last time you changed the planting mix (repotted)? Sometimes repotting gives the plants a kick start and gets them growing again.

LOL @Joe's comment

:-))

don't worry....it takes a long time atleast when u start from a TC VFT to grow in soil and mature to be able to self divide. Your plants look pretty good there.just arrange for a little more light and u should be good to go. Sun is as always the best light.

If you repot, I'd up the sand portion. 1 to 1 sand to peat mixture is typical. VFTs have weak roots and grow more quickly with less peat.

Yeah! It makes sense...when I removed a couple of VFTs for dormancy compared to a sarr...the VFt's roots don't hold on too well to the peat...u should see the sarr.......it keeps the peat around it like a blanket....very fibrous roots cmpared to the filamentous style pf VFT

Well, VFTs like a less soggy medium than pure peat, but they still require a peat or sphagnum substrate, but appreciate additions such as sand or perlite, which act as an aerator.

If your plant is happy and growing, then all is well. Plants are like any organism though - if your plant doesn't have the best genes, it might never become a huge plant but be happy just getting along. I have a Red Piranha VFT which has been tiny for the three years I've had it - it just doesn't seem a vigorous plant.

They've been in the same medium for maybe three years. I always hear on here of peoples VFT's "multiplying" which these don't really seem to do. They do grow new leaves, but never spread. I was kind of hoping they'd eventually take over the pot...but the number of rosettes has not changed.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I will repot them. Maybe instead of waiting I'll just order in a few more VFT's to make it look fuller.

Do you clip the flower stalks or do you let them flower (if ever)? They'll grow faster if you clip the flowers.

I've been clipping them. They do try to flower every year, or sometimes in the fall too.

Back