What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Center VFTs

Okay.. so I have these two VFTs that I've had for a while of course.. One of which I potted myself, the other I recieved potted. The problem is (well I'm wondering if it is a problem) that they're MAJORLY off center in the pot, one is like hugging the edge and the one I potted myself is more center but still off center. I was just wondering if this effected them in any bad way? Does it cramp the root systems at all?

I dunno why I have bad "aim" when potting plants but it just seems very difficult for me to do for some reason. >_<

The rhizome needs to be surrounded by a good amount of growing media. If it is very close to the edge of the pot it might not be too happy. It doesn’t really matter if the plant is off center; just make sure that the rhizome has plenty of growing media surrounding it.
Placing the rhizome right at the edge of the pot allows it to experience more extreme temperatures because of the lack of insulation from the growing media, which may damage the rhizome.

When I repot my VFT’s I fill the pot to the top with growing media, then I use my thumb to make an indentation in the center of the surface, then I wiggle it around to make it larger. Finally, I insert the rhizome and “pat” down the growing media so that the empty space around rhizome is eliminated. At the end I add more media to level out the surface.

If your VFT is “hugging the edge” as you mentioned, then I suggest you try to repot it. If you need practice just cut off the top of a carrot that still has its leaves and trim the leaves down. Pretend that the vegetable is the rhizome and that the trimmed leaves are the VFT’s leaves and traps. :-O

Good luck!

Okay then, repot I shall. Seems to be the way to good.

I used to repot the same was you do but I was afraid that the sides of the rhiozome weren't touching any peat. It's just me being paranoid I guess. I'll just revert back to my old way (your way) since it does work.

Thanks. :)

Back