What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT new traps don't open!

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,
This is the most singular matter. My VFT NEW traps don't seem to finish forming...doesn't even blacken....it finished forming cilia and comes final size...but trap doesn't open!!
3101072122fp3.jpg
3101072123mv0.jpg
3101072124hp9.jpg

There is no damage I can see on the leaves. All other leaves are fine.......But interestingly, leaf morphology has changed...the petiole as I said has become wider....based on the scientific article...it seems like it is SPRING leaves.
Is this a problem or is it just one leaf which probably had this problem.
A little earlier...I noticed something else.....I have seen a single leaf on my B52 which after digesting a insect......opened only slightly. I mean I could see the insect inside...it was asif the trap was stuck from opening. After 2-5 days...I actually used my foreceps to force it open...it was like the edges were glued....but the moment it opened....due to triggering the leaf closed in again. Possibily I thought it might be the juices that are left in the trap which become concentrated and acted as a glue....maybe fats of the cricket involved??
The interesting aspect is of the new trap which didn't open on the typical....I know that the trap edges have glands which release a sweet nectar. It might be possible under certain conditions...the nectar might be too concentrated enough to keep it stuck???
Looking at the convulusions on the trap....it can be seen that the plant was "TRYING" to normally open the trap...but due to some pressure difference the trap remains closed.
Any help or hypotheses would be appreciated. I just hope the new trap forming on the right will open. Its kinda disappointing....its the FIRST TRAP that is forming on the typical on that side :( . Really disappointing that it is "abnormal" if I might say so.

cheers,

vraev

Hmm… that’s very strange. I say this because what is happening to your traps happened to my first two VFT’s. It was the first sign that they were deteriorating in health. If you remember a while back I decided to grow them in a terrarium without adequate lighting. After they started to grow like your “glued” traps, they started to significantly reduce in size and grow very long skinny leafs.

The strange thing is that you do have proper lighting and no other apparent problems because (I am assuming) your other CP’s in your terrarium are healthy. This is a tough one… maybe you should wait and see if your other plants show any slight signs in decline in health, which would indicate a problem within the terrarium itself. If no other plants show any negative signs, then keep a close eye on the VFT… It may just be that the plant is growing bad traps and may just come back to normal…

I don’t know if this really helps. Maybe someone that knows more about this condition can be of further help…

Good luck!
-Joel

Last edited:
The B52 is acting wierd as well.....I mean that there opened a new leaf where the tip of the trap blackened and dried....I have seen it happen to the walmart dentate which later grew normal traps.

Now I also notice that in center there is a leaf which seems to be mutated....it has something like 2 traps on it....BUT its ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER.

some of what I see kind of reminds me of aphid damage, or maybe some other type of attack... especially if it is spreading to the other VFT's... in any event I'd isolate them if possible till i figured out what was going on... just to be on the safe side

but thats just a guess,
Av

There seems to be no BITES I can see.....I also can't notice any movement anywhere near the corm from bugs.

Back