What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two traps on one leaf?

Daecon

A Venus Flytrap newbie
My Flytrap is growing a new leaf, but this leaf has two traps at the end of it, one of which is slightly larger than the other.

When the trap is fully developed (I'm guessing within a week or so?) I'll have to borrow a camera from a friend to take a pic of it...

Is this kind of thing common, or not?

{edit: *sigh* I really should learn to use the Search function before starting a new thread...}

{edit: *sigh* I really should learn to use the Search function before starting a new thread...}

lol. No problem. I'm guessing you found your answer already, then. It is not common, but it is not uncommon either. It happens from time to time. There have been some good pictures posted of double traps of equal size. Do both of your traps share a side or does it split and form two independent traps from the same leaf?

xvart.

The traps themselves are still too young to really tell, but they do appear to be seperate traps, they split just at the start of the traps, so the "inside" lobes may be attached to each other right at the very edge on the leaf side, or they may not be. It will be easier to see when they're a little bit more mature.

I hope that made sense...

There have been some really good quality pictures on here, and some pretty unusual deformities shown...

That is common, just a genetic "flaw" once in a while. I had a flytrap that made almost non-stop double traps one summer. Very cool and it would even catch meals. Some traps were spli (double headers) and others were two independent twins.

Back