What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Burn?

krochetnkat

The Yarn Nerd aka VFT Gal
I know this is going to sound absolutely insane, but I bought a new light for my terrarium...
a Sylvania Daylight 13 watt Compact Fluorescent bulb (because they didn't have anything bigger) I have it roughly 6 inches from the plants, and another grow light (Which Grrr has survived on the last 6 months due to my ignorace), roughly 4 inches from the terrarium. It is a very SMALL Fishbowl type terrarium (Tho... 10 gallon coming today, still small I know). I want to add that I AM Going light shopping today. I was told where to go after I bought this smaller bulb.

I woke up this morning and my Grrr wasn't as pretty of a green and his leaves are weak looking. I can't imagine how this would be light burn... the temps have maintained a 71 degree, 59-65 range humidity, the only other thing I did was introduce two small planters in the terrarium that I bought last night, just until I could get the new home tonight (They are all in pots/trays tho and none touching.

I have never seen light burn, and I am completely paranoid that I have done something wrong. Does this sound like Light burn? Is it a possibility that this is only just reaction to the new light? The others seems fine and they are going from a horrible HORRIBLE environment to a bad one hahaha

How was it getting light before? The grow light? It might be just a little bit of shock from the change in light.

xvart.

How was it getting light before? The grow light? It might be just a little bit of shock from the change in light.

xvart.

Yes, He had two grow lights (That was what the guy at Walmart had told us to get hahaha That is actually why I was searching for help, his new leaves were not getting full size and I could tell they were struglling to form traps).

So if he is having problems ajusting to the light, should I wait before I introduce the new proper lighting? (I was just getting ready to run out and get the new larger bulb).

I can't comprehend an extra 13 watts hurting anything.

Check your thermometer and humidity readings. It's possible that your instruments aren't accurate and are getting a false reading/broken.

Pics would be nice :)

As far as the leaves/traps, it could be trying to go dormant.

The picture is horrible. I have been saying for... ummm... 2 years now that I was gonna get a better camera. Maybe this will be inspiration to get one *sigh*

You can see how the light b4 wasn't good becaus th traps didn't form... but he was a nice green regardless and was a nice texture. You can see that the leaves are folding under and 2 of the darker leaves, one was just forming a nice trap, is on it's way out. It was green last night!!!

I bought 2 13 watt bulbs last night, only introduced one. I was planning to go and get a larger wattage with more lumens from a specialty store today because I am getting the 10 gallon.

If this is just light shock... should I do anything special for them?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness.

It's severely etoliated. It's suffering from light deprivation. This spring, put it outside and fill your terrarium with D. adelae which don't mine low light :)

Dionaea are suited for full sun. You live in Virginia right? Perfect!

What kind of bulb are the grow lights? And what color temp is the CF bulb (cool white, warm white etc.) The color of the plant looks different under different lights. My VFTs look sickly colored under one of those aquarium/plant lights but grand in full sunlight.

Yes, the plant looks light starved to me too.

Oh my goodness.

It's severely etoliated. It's suffering from light deprivation. This spring, put it outside and fill your terrarium with D. adelae which don't mine low light :)

Dionaea are suited for full sun. You live in Virginia right? Perfect!

I live in NORTHERN Virginia. We get the extremely hot and humid summers and the 0 degree winters. Like I said tho, he was green until last night when I introduced the new daylight bulb, and the trouble forming traps is why I searched out a group resource like this in the first place. No plant will be able to go outside here until at least May, and while I was planning to put all of my plants outside then, it obviously isn't an option for a VERY long time.

I live in NORTHERN Virginia. We get the extremely hot and humid summers and the 0 degree winters. Like I said tho, he was green until last night when I introduced the new daylight bulb, and the trouble forming traps is why I searched out a group resource like this in the first place. No plant will be able to go outside here until at least May, and while I was planning to put all of my plants outside then, it obviously isn't an option for a VERY long time.

It doesn't sound much different than North Carolina where VFTs are native to. You might have to bring them in or mulch them during the winter but otherwise they'll probably thrive outdoors.

Look up a member called Vraev and just copy his setup if you want to grow it in a terrarium.

What kind of bulb are the grow lights? And what color temp is the CF bulb (cool white, warm white etc.) The color of the plant looks different under different lights. My VFTs look sickly colored under one of those aquarium/plant lights but grand in full sunlight.

Yes, the plant looks light starved to me too.

Right now I have both the plant light (Honestly I don't know what that tube is. When I bought the VFT the salesman claimed he had VFT's and this is what he recommended.) and it did fine until it went into dormancy. I even had pinkish red traps last fall using the lights that he recommended. and I took the other plant light off and attached the Daylight 13 watt bulb (and bought a second to attach).

The problem came when the plant came out of dormancy. It was obvious that the plant wasn't getting enough light and so I searched out information and found Terra forums, which is where I learned what lights would be acceptable. His leaves weren't folding over last night, the dark green leaves were a nice light green, and all but a few of the leaves were raised... not down dying.

Hot and humid summers?? PERFECT! Dionaea will benefit a lot where you live! If the winters are mild (28 to 35 degreesF) Venus Flytraps could live outside year round where you are. Add a circulating water bog, and they would absolutely thrive!!! It may be too soon to do it now, but when the first days of good weather (65 degreesF to -------whatever) put them out immediately! Direct sun is best, but for color, read the stickies in this forum to understand the coloring up process. A lot of years of observation went into understanding how they color up best.

Hot and humid summers?? PERFECT! Dionaea will benefit a lot where you live! If the winters are mild (28 to 35 degreesF) Venus Flytraps could live outside year round where you are. Add a circulating water bog, and they would absolutely thrive!!! It may be too soon to do it now, but when the first days of good weather (65 degreesF to -------whatever) put them out immediately! Direct sun is best, but for color, read the stickies in this forum to understand the coloring up process. A lot of years of observation went into understanding how they color up best.

In three months... when the temperature gets 65... I will put them outside, which were my intentions in the very beginning. My problem now is why a plant tht was not struggling this much last night is struggling after only 5 hours under a daylight bulb. My other Venus Fly Trap did not do this over night, only this one single plant.

The average temp for Willmington, NC in Feb is 47F. See Barry's FAQ

Living organisms sometimes just die for no discernable reason. Barry's book has a photo of a Sarracenia purpurea that just upped and died when it seemed hale and hearty just a few days before.

Of the four warehouse wonder VFTs I've bought since Oct, one of them is probably dead. It just started to decline about a month after I got it even though it was showing phenomenal growth previously. I depotted it and found it had bulb/root root so I peeled off most of the rotted parts, sprinkled cinnamon on it, wrapped it in a moist paper towel and baggie and tossed it into the fridge. The intent was to keep it alive until the growing season started and hope it would survive. A couple weeks ago the stems were turning black (the remaining rhizome was still whiteish and firm). I potted it up and put it outdoors. I seriously doubt it is still alive. I should have just repotted it and put it outdoors in the first place when the rhizome was in better shape.

Krochetnkat - How hot does that new bulb get compared to the old bulb? I know I have a few Compact Fluorescent bulbs around the house then they get pretty hot!

Krochetnkat - How hot does that new bulb get compared to the old bulb? I know I have a few Compact Fluorescent bulbs around the house then they get pretty hot!

I monitored the temperature of the tank all day and, while there WAS change, it was only by a couple of degrees.

We will get the new area set up for them today, I will buy a new thermometer/hydrometer and I will see what happens. There is a person I know who has had VFTs for years and who has seem my plants in the past, he is planning to come by and take a look and tell me what I should do.???

I say just get a new one and hope for the best for this one.

OK. I went out today and got the setup for the terrarium which right now has one daylight 100 compact fluorescent bulb that has an output of 1600 lumens, surrounded the entire tank with mylar in exception of one area which I am going to be using to monitor heat throughout the day. I purchased one more of the same bulb in case it was needed but I will probably put the 60 in which would give me a total of 2400 lumens. My concern is that with it being a 10 gallon tank I will put too much and bake them.

Remember the rate lumens on CF bulbs is measured at the source (ie measure from the center or at least the surface of the bulb). Light energy drops off exponentially further away from the source.

1600 lumens is approximately equal to a very dull day. 3200 lumens is like a cloudy dull day. 55000 and you're talking a clear sunny day in the dead of winter.

If you keep at least a 2 inch wide opening along the length of your tank heat should not be a problem. You could try turning the tank (provided it is rectangular) on the side and the glass will cut a lot of the heat put out by the lights.

Barry's recent FAQ update on light intensity and light quality may be useful.

Back