What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vacation stinks when its over!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I went to florida for nine days and had my mom care for my plants while I was away. When I came home the soil was so dry I don't think there was a drop of water in so I asked my mom, "did you water my plants?" she said "ya twice on the first 2 days"! My dente, the plant that was doing the best was dead and the rest look like they have been stepped on over and over. I have placed the dry bulb in water then put it back in the soil and I am still hoping it is still alive.

Sorry dude. Whenever my parents screw up they replace everything, maybe your mom will, too.

Yeah, it sucks. That's how I more or less lost my first ever VFT after 10+ years.

Being a mom is a full time job and the only way they can get things done is to fall into a routine and handle the many crisises as they come along. Anything outside the routine that is not a crisis tends to get put on the backburner. Next time spend a week or two caring for your plants with your mom assisting so she learns the routine. Unless she disapproves of your interest in CPs she'll probably enjoy the extra time spent with you.

The CP horror story, "I Left My CP's in Parents Care", told yet again. :cry:

Hope your plants recover.

Sorry about the plants dude. It hurts to lose them. There are more like pets than plants. It always hurts to lose a pet.

My mom loves my plants, but scared to death of letting them die. She won't take care of them at all unless it is a dire emergency. I guess this summer will be a test for my mom. I'm going to the UK for 3 weeks and she'll HAVE to take care of them then. :crap:

For a week or two you can probably get away with submerging the pots in water to just below the soil surface, depending on the species.

An automatic watering system with the old inverted water bottle trick could work too with your pots in community trays, although you'd have to experment to see how quickly the water evaporates. You could rig up some sort of cover over the water with holes cut out for the bottoms of the pots: another inverted tray or a thin piece of closed-cell foam perhaps.

Ouch. Just wanted to say I know the feeling. I've found that leaving plants in someone else's care, even with a lot of instructions and what not, can be a real fools errand. I don't travel a lot but when I do it is usually for at least a couple weeks, so this presents a problem for me and I have lost plants in the past because of it. :-(

Try to hedge your bets by doubling up on your favorite ones or reproducing them in whatever manner you are able to. I have found that this really takes the edge off for me and lets me stop worrying as much. Never hurts to have spares lying around, right? :-))

Again Sorry about your plants dude. I know its soo painful to loose even one of them. :( . Hope the rest recover.

My typical is starting to grow agian and it is the only one that looks like it is getting better of my VFTs.

Back