What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad to put my VFT's in the grow tank?

Would it be a bad idea to bring my vfts out of the attic and put them into my grow tank so they could get a jump start this year? Or should I just leave them until it's ok to bring them outside for the growing season?

You can bring them out on Valentine's day, mine have been out for several weeks now from the fridge and they're doing great!

Tom

(I am assuming that the temperatures are still too low to bring them outside in your area) Dormancy typically lasts a little over 3 months, so if they have been sleeping for the proper amount of time, then it is okay to wake them up. Just keep a couple things in mind:
-You’ll have to make the awaking and transition (increase in photoperiod, temperature, and watering) into the terrarium slowly to avoid serious shock to the plant.
-Keep in mind that if you are planning to eventually move them outside you will have to reacclimate them for the transition from the terrarium to outside.

If I were you I would wait… it’s already March, and temperatures are bound to come up in no time (also days are becoming longer). If you feel comfortable with the transition from dormancy to the terrarium and then (I am assuming) outside, then go for it, but remember it won’t be too much of a head start.

Good luck!

Well the temo right now at 11:17 pm is 35. It's getting warmer in the daytime too so I think I'm bringing them into my front extension. It has 2 windows and a door and is pretty much the same temp as outside (a little warmer) and now wind.

I'll add that mine are NOT outside yet, too cold for that here. They're in a south kitchen window for now.

Tom

Mine are still in the atic and have been waking up. In about a month I will take them directly outside.

One of mine has already produced 2 flower buds. I snip them off as soon as I see this happening.

If you want to give them a head start, try a windowsill. Natural light and air circulation is much better for VFTs. There is enough light for it to get cracking now indoors.

so I think I'm bringing them into my front extension. It has 2 windows and a door and is pretty much the same temp as outside (a little warmer) and now wind.
Sounds great. Good luck!

i bought a vft at the college store and obvoulsy it was forced over the winter, but i put it on my window sill to kinda give a "mild" dormnacy and it seems to be doing great, its starting to produce a bunch of summer leaves.

Back