What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Creations kit by dunecraft

I just dug up the instructions for this. It says the seed packet is courtesy of the ICPS! So I would hope the ICPS is getting a little of the money spent on these. That's a good thing
Wait a minute! Are you saying packets of seeds obtained from ICPS are being sold by Dunecraft? If so, this will take a bit of looking into.

Wait a minute! Are you saying packets of seeds obtained from ICPS are being sold by Dunecraft? If so, this will take a bit of looking into.

Hi Bob

Quote the instructions:

"Credits: Color photos used on box, instructions, deals (sic. decals), and seed pack courtesy of Carl Mazur, chair of the International Carnivorous Plant Society."

Re-reading it now it appears the photos, not the seed pack itself, are courtesy of the ICPS.

Instructions are copyrighted 2004.

nah i know you are just trying to help i already have them in the fridge i am gonna take them out probably next week and place the terrarium in a windowsill

The only problem with the windowsill is if you have narrow ones like me. You guessed it! Plop! right into the carpet. Well the Sarracenia unknown was due to be repotted so I got that done, I'll give it the Bugweed 24/7 treatment and see what happens. As for the Drosera spathulata seeds I had just sown in there buh-bye.

I rescued the Bog Buddies. I got gypped and didn't get the blue gravel but no big deal really, I wouldn't have put them in in the first place.

Disco, If the seeds in the kit don't grow, then keep an eye on the trading forum for more seeds or plants this coming year. People are often trading extras for stuff they want.

8 weeks stratification?

Too long. 4-6 weeks tops.

well, that would make sense, sitting out on the store self for weeks or months, its just i wasent thinking wehen i bought mine and as ive said got hosed for $25.

Call their 800 number at tell them to send you a fresh packet of seeds, I bet they do that a whole lot.

So eight weeks is too long? I did mine for 8 weeks figuring I'd give them the maximum amount of time to stratify....

hmmm, you know what, i think i will, thats is if i can find the gosh darn box, i hope nobody threw it out.

1-800-306-4168 I believe

thank you

Well, after two and a half weeks, one of the seeds has just started to sprout.
To be honest, I'm pretty surprised. We'll just have to see what it turns out to be!

Great! Can you see what the seed coat looks like? VFTs are teardrop shaped, black and shiny. Sarrs are brownish (tan to maroon), kidney shaped with a pebbled texture. Darlingtonia are tan, fuzzy kind of like the end of a Q-tip. Drosera are tiny (less than 1mm), round specs or a long thing flake (also tiny).

It can take months. Barry says he doesn't give up on a germination pot until two years have gone by. One guy on the ICPS board said it took 14 months for some of his Drosera seeds to germinate.

I wish my kit hadn't fallen into the carpet because I hadn't give up hope totally although I sowed some Drosera spatulata seeds into it, but those are different enough from the kit species that hopefully I could have identified them.

The seed is a very light brown(based on your choices I'd say sarr). The tiny green thing coming out of it has a white fuzzy tip.

I now have a second seed sprouting(looks to be the same type) and the first is coming along nicely!

i got one of those and it did not work for me, but my best wishes

wow happy 1 year anniversary since last post. >_>

Yeah, I wonder what ever became of his project / experiment??

Well for me the two that I mentioned germinating are still growing(they are, in fact, sarrs). Still don't know what they are...

I know it's been 5 years, but has anyone maintained the plants from this thread they started in the kit? I just got one and wanted to see the plants if they still exist! :)

Back