What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deflasking

• Thread starter jiana54
  • Start date
has anyone here deflasked vfts?

I have not deflasked VFTs but I have deflasked a number of other Genera (Drosera, Ping, Nep, Byblis, Ceph...)

What do you want to know?

1. how did the whole process of deflasking go
2. is it as simple as putting the plants in a pot
3. was it time consuming for you
4. how long was did it take the plants to get acclimated
5. how many plants did you start with and end up with

sorry for all the questions im just really curious about it. i kinda want to learn what to do so in the future, i would know to "deflask"

Easy enough

1. how did the whole process of deflasking go

I asume you want more than "It was easy" :)

Deflasking really is a simple process. The best method I have found for getting the plants out and ready to pot is to fill a good sized bowl/basin with warm water. Extract the plant carfefull from the flask, large forceps make this a little easier but you can also just tilt the flask on its side and give it a gentle whack. Once you have the plant/agar free from the flask then pick off as much of the agar from the roots as you can. After you have a majority of the agar free drop the whole thing in the water and just let it soak a minute or two then gently aggitate. Keep this up until there is no agar left. This is really important because any agar left will be a hot spot for fungal attack. Once you have the agar free you are ready to pot (or seperate individual plants if it is a "bulk")

2. is it as simple as putting the plants in a pot

Once the agar is washed off yes it is pretty much that easy. With some plants it might be good to toss the pot ina baggie for them to acclimate.

3. was it time consuming for you

Depands. If I am doing a flask or two then no it is not time consuming. That said, with my latest batch I will probably be spending this entire weekend deflasking and still not be done by Monday LOL

4. how long was did it take the plants to get acclimated

Again, there is not solid answer as it depands ona lot of factors. For D. falconeri the plant basically acclimates immediatly and I see no transition effects. For P. ionantha it can take months.

5. how many plants did you start with and end up with

Again, depends on a lot of factors, principle among them is what media the plant is in in the flask. If it is just growth media then usually it is one plant per flask so you start with one and end up with one. If the plant is in multiplication media then you usually have a "cluster" or "bulk". In this case you get multiple plants and how many survive depends on their size, health, acclimation conditions, how tempermental the species is, etc. I have pulled 30 plants of D. falconeri from a single flask and had 90% survival. I have pulled 20 D. meristocaulis from one flask and had only 15% survival. Usually I have really good rates for deflasking though.

Back