What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help

just got vft and i dont have light or water yet how long can it go with out these cause my dad is going to get them now.... also it is snow outside so what should i do its a about 36 degrees out what do i do

About water, maybe melting some snow could do the job? ??? It's rain afterall...

k i melted snow and woarmed it to bout room temp now i found a reptile light should i use it as a tempary soultion itsflusent has a 30% uva out put?

sone one plz tell me i dont wanna be killing my first plant'

Is it still snowing outside? Is the snow outside just temporary. I guess, what I'm getting at atleast, is that whenever I had some VFTs growing on my south-facing windowsill and it would snow for a day or a couple of days, I would just leave them there and they would do fine until the sun would come back out.

Whenever you purchased the VFT where did you plan on keeping it?

its not snowing on any more put we got 5 in and im planned on keepin it out side but isnt it to cold?
and what about this light i have?

Yes, it's too cold at the moment. What are your normal climate conditions?

As for the light, well, I can't help you with that because I grow all of my CPs outside.

Just leave your new plant on a bright window sill for a couple days, and then take action. The plant is probably under stress from the trip so leaving it alone for some time is ideal. Of course, you'll want to keep the peat (or whatever it came in) moist.

Remember, change should always gradual for a VFT.

i live in new jersey so temperate is that good for vfts

i live in new jersey so temperate is that good for vfts
Yes! New Jersey is a great place to grow VFT's outside. VFT's are found in the wild in the Carolina's, so yes, they are temperate and experience dormancy during the winter.

It isn't ideal to buy a temperate CPs during winter because if you want it to skip dormancy that winter and will want to grow it outside, you'll have to find a way to keep it happy inside until spring. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, since it is already the middle of March…

Don’t stress out. Being too worried about your plant may lead you take some unnecessary actions, which will then harm it. Relax and give the plant some time and space.

k thank u at wat temperture can i take it outside?

k thank u at wat temperture can i take it outside?
Hmm... Since your plant is new I would put it outside when overnight lows are in the mid to high 40's. Some people's opinions might be different on this one, though. Remeber to make it a gradual transition.

Number one. Kind of thoughtless to get a plant under those conditions and not have a plan for planting and keeping it until mid spring.
Number 2. Put the light on the plant, about ten inches away, and use it only if you have no place to put the plant where it can get any sun.
Number three. DON'T PANIC!!!!! You have a valuable resource right here. If it dies, that is the price you pay for lack of thought. But don't worry. Thoughtlessness is NOT a crime, and I have been guilty of the same.
Number 4. You better learn patience if you are going to raise these plants at all. Patience WILL BE the most valuable commodity you have in your future raising thse plants.
And how old are you? Your posts make you sound real young, and that will mean you worry about everything, when you don't have to.

Back