What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT advice and tips

well, i only heard the water theory, and i noticed that when i touch a hair once everyday in one trap...that paticular trap becomes larger than all the rest, even when the trap started off at normal size. idk y it would happen with the eletrical theory, but it does make sence with the water theory...try it for yourself this summer...it worked for me

BTW...a toothpick workes best with this

I've got this muscle stimulator, I'm going to hook up some electrodes to the lobes and see what happens. Meanwhile I'll be fondling the hairs ever 3 hours on the clock in my basement under an HID light. Just kidding.

See the fun thing with plants, Bruce, is that they are living! I've grown plants by the books and followed what the "experts" said to do and they croaked! I've grown plants in conditions that the "experts" said should kill them yet the grow faster than anticipated and multiply! What works for you works for you but maybe not your neighbor. I'm convinced our friend Joseph is in league with a voodoo priestess with the way he grows his plants, which would surely die under my care, but his are THE , and I'll say it, THE best Pinguicula I've ever seen!

A perfect example is how I can't grow Dionaea to save my life, yet I can grow cephalotus easily in conditions that should kill it. Once I tried growing Aldrovanda and had special PC lighting, RO water, a pressurized CO2 system, macro and micro nutrients calculated by yours truly to the smalled PPM, yet poof. Died within a couple of weeks in perfect conditions. I'm 17, too like you by the way. I've been at this since I was 9 and if I've learned one thing is that these plants are ALWAYS full of surprises :)

Well, we have two theories. Nothing concrete. So, you gonna answer the red question, or should I direct you to the stickie in the VFT forums so you will have more knowledge under your belt??

So, what makes a VFT red? And how do they get red? What are the triggers that cause it?

Wait. You trying to tell me there are VFTs out there that are RED? No way. I don't believe it.

i thought this thread was supposed to be about advice and tips...

any tips on how to get my poor plant back to good health? there are literally only a few traps and they are itty bitty bitty and not even fully grown. the other one died. yet i'm thinking of buying another one- it's like they provoke me with a challenge.

bugfreak- Has the plant always been in "bad" shape? Or is there something that triggered it to go bad all the sudden?

Once I tried growing Aldrovanda and had special PC lighting, RO water, a pressurized CO2 system, macro and micro nutrients calculated by yours truly to the smalled PPM, yet poof.

Yeah, and didn't your CO2 unit blow up, too? Maybe that had something to do with it!

Bugfreak - how's your soil look? Make sure you are using clean water. If it arrived in poor health you might want to contact the seller/trader. If it came bareroot you might want to check your soil ingredients. Make sure there is no fertilizer in it.

xvart.

hey if ne one ever needs help with VFT's, ask me, i am a very experienced grower and know all the myths about VFTs and know the absolute true way to grow ur VFT to it's full potential...

lol! :-)) :jester: :poke:

I feed my VFT's red jello. It gives them that nice red hue inside the traps.

Now now... :nono: Take it easy folks.

NEVAH!!!!!!!!!! Don't waltz in here thinking you know it all. Many of us would be happy to burst your bubble!!! Know it alls can't learn anything if they think they know it all already. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY knows it all when it comes to Nature and growing. Never forget the plants have their preferences too, and you can't change that.

Yeah, and didn't your CO2 unit blow up, too? Maybe that had something to do with it!

Bugfreak - how's your soil look? Make sure you are using clean water. If it arrived in poor health you might want to contact the seller/trader. If it came bareroot you might want to check your soil ingredients. Make sure there is no fertilizer in it.

xvart.

No, it blew up in my face! Lmao, my Aldrovanda died way before that though lol. You should have seen my always over reactionary mother screaming lmao.

i never said i knew everything dude, to be honest, i thought this forum was full of noobs like the last one i was at...so i came here to help the newbies...and i'll be the first to admit i don't know everything...but i'll also be the first to admit i've found a way that works for me, and it's works for a lot of newbies i help out too...so y don't u share how u grow yours, so i can learn and try different ways...

bugfreak- Has the plant always been in "bad" shape? Or is there something that triggered it to go bad all the sudden?

i've had the plant probably a year or so. i'm assuming it just came out of dormancy. it wasn't looking so good before last winter either. i am seeing signs of new growth, which is good. i just got back from Lowes with another one and some sphagnum moss. i will go buy some distilled water and hope for the best.

too bad my plant is so pitiful, cause my husband caught a big-ole juicy fly the other day.

hey, if the traps are small, does that mean it's a young plant? me is a plant dum dum

Is it pure sphagnum moss? Are you going to transplant your "old" one too? I think transplanting is your best bet. How did you give it dormancy? fridge?

hmmmm.... how can you tell if it's "pure"/ what do yo mean?

for dormancy, i just set it in a shaded, half covered corner and tried to remember to not let it dry out. i transplanted it tonight with my new aquisition from Lowes. (we went to look for rubber tubing for hubby- ended up with a plant)

anyway, i planted my plants in a mix of the medium that was already there and peat moss. i believe it's been haning out in some dried peat moss or something. i did notice that the stuff i just got allows for more ventilation.

Pure sphagnum moss means it is moss only: not mixed with sand or usually perlite.

Look on the back at the ingredients. Just make sure it doesn't have anything funny added in. And that it is the right kind of moss. They sell "green moss" which is said to be deadly for cps. That's all I'm sayin :)

hey if ne one ever needs help with VFT's, ask me, i am a very experienced grower and know all the myths about VFTs and know the absolute true way to grow ur VFT to it's full potential...
psh! dont tell us! show us! what do your plants look like?
Alex

Back