What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you over water VFTs?

• Thread starter ziggy
  • Start date
I know VFTs need a lot of water, but can you over water them? Is it smart to water them at set intervals? How much water is enough?

Most of the literature I've read say VFTs don't like waterlogged conditions, but Joseph says he grows some of his pretty much flooded semi-aquatic so I don't know what to tell you.

IMOE with pure peat too much water along with not enough air circulation lead to root/bulb rot and a dead plant.

I just look at the water level in the trays and do a touch test on the soil. If it's fairly dry I just add a little water, not much maybe keep the level at .25 inch or so.

I grow a few of mine in my pitcher plant tubs. They are under water most of the time, and yet, they grow anyway.

I spray my VFTs with a spray bottle each day. Do you think this is enough water?

u might want to keep it in a tray of water so u don't have to mist every day...and i've had experience with root rot when there is too much water for too long.

OO! I'll go tell mine right away! They have been living semi-aquatically for 6 years, and don't know this tidbit of info!!!!!

dude...i'm just stating my experience...jeeze:crazy:

My VFTs are in a terrarium so I can't put them in a tray of water. Spraying them is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas?

Also, I know I'm supposed to grow VFTs outside, but that probably isn't going to happen. Please tell me what I can do about watering with a terrarium. Thanks!

i put mine in a tray of water and they seem to love it

lol, so i've noticed

dude...i'm just stating my experience...jeeze:crazy:

Kid, you are just digging yourself in deeper. I suggest that for the time being, you ASK more questions than you answer.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum,
Steve

ok, so he may know a bit more than me...big woop, that doesn't mean i still can't share my opinions...

I promise we really ARE a friendly bunch here!

Except for me of course. I've got a sarcastic streak in me. And so help me if I catch you or anyone else around my medicine cabinet......

Nobody says you can't share your opinions or experience, far from it. But hey, lets face it.. you came here out of the blue and declared yourself a "VFT Expert" and told everyone that you would teach the absolute best way to grow VFTs. Many people, like Bugweed who has been studying and growing these plants about 3x as long as you have been alive, are offended by that.

Now, you have already started off on the wrong foot here. You can either A) Continue to fight against the grain, B) Realize the mistake, and work to earn back the respect you have lost, or C) Decide that this forum sucks, bash us, and quit.

The choice is up to you.

Steve

i know i came off on the wrong foot...and i've already appoligized for that...and i explaned y i did what i did on top of that...i'm sorry if i offended anyone...trust me...i know i still got a lot to learn...as for earning the respect back...it seems like with bugweed bashing and boeing sarcastic every time i post something...it seems like i'm not going to 1) learn anything here. 2) earn anykind of respect. so, lets get back on the topic here...

Ziggy-
When I grew mine in a “fish bowl” terrarium last year, I kept a 2-2.5in layer of pure perlite at the bottom. This was mainly to hold the excess water at the bottom and to not allow it to become standing water that was in contact with the peat/perlite mix. When watering, I misted every couple days and I would dump water on the side of the terrarium when the peat seemed dry, even after misting. This watering method was what worked for me. Eventually though, I dumped my “I-want-to-grow-my VFTs-in-a-terrarium” stubbornness (with a little help from Steve and Scott) and grew them outside.

There is a member that I know of that has done a great job at growing his CP’s in a terrarium. His member name is vraev. Try contacting him or searching for his past posts so you can see his setup and progress.

Once again, good luck.

Nobody says you can't share your opinions or experience, far from it. But hey, lets face it.. you came here out of the blue and declared yourself a "VFT Expert" and told everyone that you would teach the absolute best way to grow VFTs. Many people, like Bugweed who has been studying and growing these plants about 3x as long as you have been alive, are offended by that.

Now, you have already started off on the wrong foot here. You can either A) Continue to fight against the grain, B) Realize the mistake, and work to earn back the respect you have lost, or C) Decide that this forum sucks, bash us, and quit.

The choice is up to you.

Steve

I think this is going a little too far in the wrong direction...

Common guys you are offended by a new comer who claims to be an expert? Where's your modesty where's your humbleness?! This isn't a competition or anything... it's about our passion for growing CPs. CP_dude obviously loves growing VFT's and is stoked about them. I think he made it clear it was wrong for him to be so arrogant, so why keep slapping him with a measuring stick? :-(

I grow mine in at least 2inches of water in the growing season. In the winter I let them get drier to prevent the bulbs rotting.

Proof is in the pictures, heres what they looked like last summer.

VFTTray1.jpg

I guess I might pop my experience with VFT's in here too...Mine grow in a terrarium without any drianage as a MINI bog that is at any time definately soaked in water since I have to water my moss daily...and the VFTs' don't seem to mind it.

Remember that EVERYONE GETS THEIR OWN TECHNIQUE ziggy. Once you learn...u will have your own way.....dry, wet or damp...its not a hard fast rule.

Back