What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What water is best for VFTs?

• Thread starter ziggy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
What water is best for VFTs?

--distilled water
--rain water
--run-off water
--tap water that has sat for two days
--anything else you use, tell us

I am using distilled water, but its raining a lot, so should I collect some rain water?

Thanks for any help!

Rain water is good, just be aware that if you are collecting it from the rain gutter spout there might be stuff you don't want in it washing off the roof and gutters.

Water purified with a reverse osmosis filter is good too, make sure salt is not added for taste.

Basically you want water that is almost pure of minerals and chemicals. If you buy water in bottles or from a dispensing machine make sure it says something like: "purified by distillation or reverse osmosis" and that no salt or other chemicals have been added. Ozone is ok because that will dissipate and not harm the plants. Rain water is another source.

Tap water may be ok depending on your location. You would have to test it to see how pure it is. Your utility company may provide you with that information if you ask them.

Letting tap water sit for a couple of days will only let chlorine dissipate. It will auctually concentrate the minerals through evaporation and raise the TDS which is bad.

Distilled and RO is best. Even over rain water as it can contain pollution, although we accept rain water as fine. Let me rephrase that, RO water is best if you keep the membrane in good working order and replace it when it needs to be replaced.

RO water means run-off water, right?

NOOOOO>......RO means reverse osmosis water.

Rain water as long as it is PURE without running off ur roof or something like that is the best.

Oh my goodness no. An RO filter is a nice investment if you are serious about this hobby and can afford it. I got mine for like 130-150 USD which was... something else in Euro's. I bought one from the Netherlands or Norway or someplace like that, Thanks Ebay :)

i use rain water from my roof. i put the water through a coffee filter first and the amout of particles is amazing... good thing i do filter it.
Alex

My dad has a small RO filter (10 Gallons per day I think) that I use for my water.

Basically whatever form of purified water is easiest for you to obtain. I myself use distilled water from a dispenser in my local grocery store. Luckily it's quite cheap ( < 50 cents per gallon). You could collect rainwater, just make sure that you cover whatever containers you use when it's not raining to prevent mosquitoes from using it to breed. If you use the tray system you also want to watch for mosquito larvae, S. purpurea find them very tasty! :p

Rain/snow water or distilled only for me.

Tom

RO, deionized, and distilled are comparably as good and the best. After that, it would be rainwater. Forget tap water unless it has been tested and free of mineral salts. Letting tap water sit is for chlorine removal, as in tropical fish... but not cp's.

Back