What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new + old vfts

I recently got my "fresh from the nursery" red dragons (potted). If I repot this with my mature red dragons into an 8 inch pot, would the plants end up stressed and dead?

Depends on how much you'd have to disturb the currently potted plants, and if they're already growing. As I'm sure you know, VFTs deeply resent having their roots messed with during the growing season, so if you could plant the new ones without disturbing the older plants too much, I say go for it. Otherwise pot them separately and try again after the next dormancy.

i think i'd better wait till next year then. i dont want to kill them

I've never had any problem repotting VFTs. I just gently tap them out of the pot and set the entire rootball into the new home and lightly press the soil down around the older soil. This causes little root disturbance. I've never seen my plants have any problems after repotting.

I just pull them up with a bunch of loose soil and take away the soil to check the roots and get leaf pullings everynow and then.
I did this last year in the middle of summer and there were no ill effects at all

It won't cause any problems. Go for it!

I do as PAK, removing the plant and media as one unit, into a prepared pot. And then I get them into stable conditions and leave them alone to re-acclimate.

Back