What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I turned 2 VFTs into 49 VFTs

Now imagine if you were to tissue culture the VFT. 2 or 3 sections per leaf, one section per flask. Each successful flask yielding on the average of 30 plantlets (wild guess). Then you can reflask those plantlets and maybe again yield 20-30 plantlets per flask. The mind boggles.
I wonder then... If so many clones can be made by TC (because it's so successful), then why are the "rare" cultivars... rare? For example, why are the 'Fused Tooth' and 'Jaws' cultivars not as common as the big three? Any ideas?

Because they probably want to keep it rare. Just a guess.
Do you think you could do this under fluorescents? I mean, Presto only had them in a northeast facing window, so they wouldn't get much less sun.

Good question. It is interesting that AgrStart3 registered the 'Cupped Trap' cultivar yet they don't have it listed for sale or available for sale on their website. And according to the ICPS AgriStarts isolated the clone in 1998 but did not register the cultivar until 2003.

A lot of the "cultivars" out there are variations that cropped up in tissue culture - such as 'Green Dragon' (from TC of 'Akai Ryu' aka 'Red Dragon'). It's possible that even in tissue culture these clones revert to type and yield a low percentage of the rare clone.

I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Presto how are they doing? All survive? You inspired me to do my own similar project. You can check out mine to see my results!

Not all survived. I did a lousy job of hardening them off. There are 2 or 3 dozen left, and they're pretty small. But they're starting to look great now that it's summer. They're currently soaking up the sun on my grandmother's patio. I originally wanted to donate them to the NECPS to sell at the show in September, but I think they'll probably need another year before they're a respectable size. I'll get a picture next time I'm over there...

Hummm... I could have a whole bowl of red dragon AND a whole bowl of dente by next season... only at the cost of two plants...

humm....

I'd try it with something a little less rare and exclusive first just in case it doesnt work so well on the rare and cultivar vfts...

What happened to the images on the first post? They seem to have been deleted?

He probably either rearranged the files in his hosting website or deleted the images.

xvart.

I'm not a he, I'm a she! >_< heh

I'll move the original pictures to photobucket. (I originally had them on the TF photo server, did something happen with it?)

anyway, just wanted to give a little update:

2007_0910Image0009.jpg

doing pretty well! some look like they're even still dividing!

2007_0910Image0008.jpg

here's the biggest one...with prey! mwahaha!

2007_0910Image0007.jpg

and a group shot. pretend the raggedy neps and large vft aren't there. 49, minus 14 probably dead, minus 2 MIA (stolen?) = 33 left. not bad!

I'm not a he, I'm a she! >_< heh

Whoops, Emily! Sorry about that. I suppose when I posted I was thinking someone else was the originator of the topic! Didn't someone else post a topic about splitting vft recently?

And to answer your question about the CP photo hosting check out this thread.

Again, my apologies!

xvart.

it's no problem, don't worry about it :)

and thanks for the thread, that makes sense.

I found it! I must have been thinking about this thread by Not a Number.

xvart.

This evening I bought a venus fly trap from fred meyers...I was originally going to plant it in my vft garden, but I remembered this post and decided to do what you did...I skipped the water part though, and placed them on wet, milled sphagnum, and sprinkled some more milled sphagnum on top (unfortunatley I don't have LFS)...well, even if only have of them make it, I should still have about 20, and even that would be awesome... thanks for this inspiring post
-Gabe

How could you do this?!!? I just decided that tonight was the night to start my version of this experiment and it pained me to rip apart those poor things!

If this works, I'll let everyone know. I had leaves from two different plants divided up between two identical containers of purified water. One had rooting hormone dissolved into it and the other was straight up water. Both are in large ziplock bags with a small bit left unzipped and are under some shop lights side by side.

Should the water have been just enough to cover the bottom of the container or deeper? Are submerged leaves a waste of time?

I broke up my typical big VFT into like 10 + pieces after it started rotting. ALl the parts except the rotted ones have started growing already. I got like 5 or 6. :) As long as u have good enough light...decent pure water, good plant to start off with (VERY VERY IMP)...it should work no problem.

How could you do this?!!? I just decided that tonight was the night to start my version of this experiment and it pained me to rip apart those poor things!

If this works, I'll let everyone know. I had leaves from two different plants divided up between two identical containers of purified water. One had rooting hormone dissolved into it and the other was straight up water. Both are in large ziplock bags with a small bit left unzipped and are under some shop lights side by side.

Should the water have been just enough to cover the bottom of the container or deeper? Are submerged leaves a waste of time?

When using sealed bags or containers it is best to monitor for molding. Your approach should work, though. A couple years ago had a tray of sweampy, live LFS. All I did was place the leaves on top of the LFS, fully exposed, and right at the window sill. That also worked. I get clusters of plantlets from each leaf.

Should I open the bags more?

I wouldn't. Thta's one of those things in life that the outcome proves one wise or foolish and people can say "I told ya so" if things fail. Most of the time a sealed bag for leaf cuttings dorsn't result in mold. It's just that anything sealed has a greater risk. It's like a mini-terrarium environment.

Ilbasso, how did it go?

Back