What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I'm letting my VFT flower, I have three flower stalks right now and one of them has something growing out of the middle of the stalk. Here is a pic:

April003.jpg

Also, one of the stalks is quite tall, and I'm wondering when it's going to finally bloom. I've been waiting awhile now and it just seems like it's taking a long time. Anyone know how long it takes? Or does it depend on the plant? Here's a pic of how tall it is:

April004.jpg

It's just an anomaly. Like an aborted bract/leaf/flower.

Your plant is light deprived and you should really just cut the stalks.

How do you know it's light deprived?

Well... just look at it. It's green and withery looking and has small traps and the newest leaf looks very etoliated.

I thought it was supposed to be green! I don't know what etoliated means. AND DON'T TELL ME TO GOOGLE IT! Do VFT's need full direct sun? It's outside and gets partial sun.

Google it.

No really it means light starved so the plant etoliates, or stretches towards a light source.

Full. direct sun is good. Harden it off.

You've been here for 2 years, have 2100+ posts, and you still don't know that? lol

Wide leaves and small traps are not uncommon in early spring, but VFTs do like maximum sun.

Too Funny!
Letting the plant flower is ok if you want to see the flowers or want seeds, but it does put a strain on your plant. It will take the plant longer to really start looking good because it is trying to produce seeds. Most people including myself do cut the stem off. The plants very quickly will start putting all there energy into trap development. You end up with a much bigger, healthier plant a lot earlier on in the season. Something to think about.
You should grow them in full sun. Adjust them to it slowly though, they can sunburn.
Go to page 5 in this forum. I did a post on my plants last year. The pictures go from the beginning of the season to late fall. Full sun is they way to go!
Just trying to help.
JMatt

I'm letting one of my plants flower just to see the flower.

Houston, we have a problem.

I have tons of VFT's, and it seems to be in a fairly good condition.

Listen, those two flower stalks that are small, cut them off ASAP, the plant is strained by just making ONE. If you want to see the flower, then only use that big stalk.

JMatt, thanks :) I wanted to let it flower so I can show it to my husband. NeciFix, you're right, I will cut off the two small ones :)

Back