What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to transplant vft

I bought 3 vft about 3 years ago now their are out growing their current pots.
do I have to put drainage like stone in the bottom of the new pots?
I DON"T have a green thumb but I heard something about some plates become root bound and when you transplant you have to rought theirs roots up and then I heard some plants die if you rough their roots up so which do I do.. what would be the best soil to have them get to the full patential???

any correct info would be great I'm loving them and want to the best for them.

Sally D

Just rinse the old media off and replant it in 50/50 sand/peat or whatever your preference is.

VFTs are pretty tolerant of transplanting.

First you need to decide if you are going to simply move the entire contents into a larger pot, or divide up the clumps into individual plants. Then prepare enough pots and media for your needs.

If you are going to just transplant into a larger pot the procedure is pretty basic. Take larger pot and fill with media, remove plant from old pot (it should all come out in 1 ball) drop ball into new pot and fill in around the edges. Some people like to put a handfull of long fiber sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot to keep the media from escaping through the drainage holes. I personally have never had an issue with loss of media but if you have the sphagnum it wouldn't hurt. Then water the plant to "set" everything and voila.. all done.

The only difference if you are dividing the clumps is that you should take care to do as little damage to the roots as possible. I find that the sprayer from my sink works well to help tease apart the root systems of clumped plants. You should have all your pots prepared with their media before you start disassembling the clumps though. You don't want your exposed roots drying out on the table while you are busy mixing peat and sand and filling pots. Basicly as you get 1 plant seperated, poke a hole in the media of its new home, gently push the roots down into the hole till the white part of the plant is at the soil level, pack the media around the base of the plant a bit, and then water it well to "set" it in the new pot. Continue till you are out of plants or pots (or both) and voila, all done...

Good luck
Steve

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. Don't stress over tripping the traps accidently. You are GOING to trip them.. just accept that and don't worry about it. The plants may look a bit ragged for a while after transplanting, particularly if you seperate the clumps, don't be surprised if none of the traps work again or many older leaves simply die off completely. This is normal and not a cause for concern. As long as you have green growth comming from the center of the plant you are fine.

Steve

if you rough their roots up? I've NEVER....EVER had a problem with transplanting. Just take them from one pot and put them in the other. :)

Are you only supposed to do it while they're dormant?

media does that mean the soil?

I was going to keep them to together just transplant BUT they might do better if I seperate them a little but in the same pot the new pots are pretty big. what would be best I love those guys and want to get they as big as possible.

please remember talk slow I DON'T HAVE a green thumb at all I amazed They are still with me after 3 years. and grown so much.

Sally D

media does that mean the soil?

Yes. Some people can get a little nit-picky about proper terminology.. technically VFTs do not grow in soil.. blah blah blah...

I was going to keep them to together just transplant BUT they might do better if I seperate them a little but in the same pot the new pots are pretty big. what would be best I love those guys and want to get they as big as possible.

Personally I like to seperate the clumps. I prefer to see the individual rosettes rather than the clusters of traps inside traps inside traps that you tend to get with clumps. I also believe they appreciate the extra "breathing room". That said, I have seen some amazing large plants grown in clumps... ???

Steve

Back