What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

signs of life

Ok. so with the crazy weather that a few of us had a couple of weeks ago, I had some of my cps covered with snow. Now, some of my vfts and pitchers are shriveled and black. How do i know if it's still alive?

if you very gently and carefully dig so some of the rhizome is exposed, you can tell. If it's firm and white, it's still alive. carefully cover it back up. If it's squishy and brown, it's probably dead.

Or you can just wait and see if the plant shows new growth from the center of the rosette... It'll be a surprise. :)

If they had been acclimated to being outside then they are likely to be alive and well enought to recover. I had a similar experience last October when we had a freak snowstorm. It killed the foliage of my D. binata & filiformis plants. I brought they and the other minibigs in, to the attic for an early dormancy and when late winter came around, new growth was initiated. So I would say that you just have surficial damage and not permanent.

I'm waiting along with you. Mine were covered w/ snow too. Hopefully the centers will sprout soon !

Back