What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking a bit sickly...

gemini_girl

Split Personality
My venus flytrap looks alittle sickly some of the trap are dieing but there is new growth coming in what should I do?

Hard to say what you should do with out knowing more about the plant. How long have you had it? What type of media is it growing in? Is this a recent development or a gradual decline in health. What kind of water do you use? Has it been recently transplanted? Do you use the tray method? Mist frequently? Grow in a terrarium or in a pot? Indoor plant or outdoor? The more you can tell us about it's growing conditions, the more accurate our guesses can be.

It's in a pot and has not been transplanted I bought it a a big lots so it was a litte sicky already I have a tray under it. Should i transplant it to better soil? ??? Should I cut off the dieing parts?

Use only distilled water and give it lots of light. If it has new growth then it must be doing moderately okay. I would just let it acclimate to your conditions. Fly traps love light, so the more you give it the better off it will be. Are you growing it outside? By a window?

The traps will die off after being triggered a couple or three times. If they are blackening you can go ahead and cut them off.

Check the new growth, hopefully it will look better since it is in better conditions than at big lots. You got any pictures?

xvart.

I have it outside It does look a lot better than it did it gets nice light. I think those died because they had been triggered a few times I trimmed them off. No pics I misplaced my cameras usb cable Oops. It is in a little pot should I replant int in a bigger one? I have been giving distilled water, It has a bunch of new growth coming in.

It's in a pot and has not been transplanted I bought it a a big lots so it was a litte sicky already I have a tray under it. Should i transplant it to better soil? ??? Should I cut off the dieing parts?
OK sounds like a recent aquisition (gotta use the big words or they get lonely). So it sounds like you're dealing with a couple problems. Poor care and shock. Poor care from the store and shock from the change in environments. I would flush the pot with pure water a couple times in case they watered with tap water (likely) or fertilized it (a possibility). You can take a chance and give it direct sun immediately or lots of bright indirect light and gradually increase the amount of direct sunlight it gets over a couple weeks. I recommend erring on the side of caution and go with the bright indirect light as it is less likely to burn the new leaves and will give the plant a chance to build up it's strength to take direct sun. I'd hold off transplanting unless the plant continues to decline. Do cut off the dead parts of leaves. If they are green then they can still provide energy to the plant. VFTs are easy once you get the hang of them. It's getting the hang of them that's the tricky part.

Indubitably.

I can't grow a Dionaea to save my life. Life is quirky like that sometimes. I've noticed with monotypic genera, either someone has the gift or they don't. Ever notice that? Dionaea, Cephalotus, Aldrovanda, Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, same story. Either you've got a talent with that one monotypic genus or you dont lol.

Or if you are like some people, you are in league with a voodoo priestess or three and excel at all of them.

I have it outside It does look a lot better than it did it gets nice light. I think those died because they had been triggered a few times I trimmed them off. No pics I misplaced my cameras usb cable Oops. It is in a little pot should I replant int in a bigger one? I have been giving distilled water, It has a bunch of new growth coming in.

Sounds like it is doing well, then. Just give it time.

xvart.

Ok well I hope I can get it to live.... I don't have a very good track record with plants, although my juniper bonsai is doing well.

Between BCK & Xvart, you pretty much have the diagnosis. I would leave it right where it is and allow it to get used to the change in light, humidity, temp, etc... Too much moving around leads to shock. New growth is a good sign. I would also trim anything that is brown or black.

Indubitably.

I can't grow a Dionaea to save my life. Life is quirky like that sometimes. I've noticed with monotypic genera, either someone has the gift or they don't. Ever notice that? Dionaea, Cephalotus, Aldrovanda, Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, same story. Either you've got a talent with that one monotypic genus or you dont lol.

Or if you are like some people, you are in league with a voodoo priestess or three and excel at all of them.

That's what I'm talking about. I can't get a dionaea through the winter but my first ever ceph is doing great. People can get grew dionaea like crazy but can't grow a ceph. But this is the year when I make that one big huge order and they all will live this year. Dionaea, drosera, and sarracenia, they will all make it this time.

Back