What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do YOU use clay pellets??

• Thread starter Fryster
  • Start date

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
Does anyone use clay pellets (like Hydroton®) as a draining layer in the very bottom of your potted CP's?? VFT's or in any other CP??

I would think that these would be ideal for holding moisture and still be able to achieve run-off and allow good aeration.

If not, why would using clay pellets be a “bad idea”? Or would using them make no difference at all in the health and growing abilities of a CP??

Thanks for your views... :)

I don't use them.. and frankly I don't know where I could GET them. If you plan on using them for a draining layer, I'd vote against it. Most CPs like to have lots of water, so drainage is unnecessary. There are some exceptions like neps and pings, but most VFTs, Drosera, and Sarrs prefer to be swamped with water.

I know JMatt has been experimenting with growing Cephalotus in hydroponic clay pellets only: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107959

I don't have any experience with the pellets myself, but he says they're pH neutral. So they might not be so ideal for CPs, which love acidic soil. But it looks like he's having success so far. I'm tellin ya, his whole ARM is green. :hail:

To answer your question, I haven't heard of anyone using them as you're describing.

Nope, I use a 6:4 ratio of peat and perlite (respectively) with a nice think layer of LFS on the top. Mine drain well enough.

Presto,
Hey I know you!:-O
My arm being green, I don't know about that! Maybe if a bucket of paint fell off a ladder on me. :-))
My experiment is still doing good so far.
JMatt

Hmm...

So, with the greater majority of CP's, a bottom drainage layer (of clay pellets, stones or whatever) is not needed then?

How does one prevent soil-loss thru the drainage holes in the pots? Or is this not really a problem since most people seem to bottom-water their plants?

And, what does having LFS as a top layer do for VFT's and other CP's?? Does it help hold moisture and oxygen in the soil or is it mostly for eye-appeal??

All I have now is dried LFS; not too eye-appealing me thinks... :(

Peat loss through the bottom isn't a problem. You'll lose a few bits, but nothing to worry about.

Peat holds so much water anyway, nothing added will improve it's water holding abilities.

If you want added aeration, most people use perlite or sharp sand.

A top layer of live moss is mostly for aesthetics. It tends to overwhelm seedlings though.

Dried LFS will spring back to life in a few weeks when it's wetted.

I ahve been using aquatic plant soil (little clay chips/pellets) for pings after reading about Joseph Clemens use. I have tried on a few dews, but not on VFTs yet. I am not using it as for drainage on the bottom, but actually mixed in with the other media.

And, what does having LFS as a top layer do for VFT's and other CP's?? Does it help hold moisture and oxygen in the soil or is it mostly for eye-appeal??(
As Alexis mentioned, most people use it to improve the aesthetics of the pot. I, on the other hand use it because it provides extra humidity (I have to). I live in a desert and there’s a risk that my plants could dry up with the dry wind, heat, and extra low humidity. I also use a bit more peat in my growing medium in order to allow the pots to retain more water and prevent them from drying out too quickly.

I use a layer of lfs on the bottom of most of my pots to prevent soil loss. seems to work well so far.
peace,
Zero

I've used the pellets (Aliflor) at the bottom of orchid & Nep pots, but wouldn't use them for Sarrs & VFTs since I want those to wick up the water. I use a combination of LFS and sponge rock for my CPs and, although, the LFS doesn't look like much at first, it'll often come to life.

What is spong rock???

Lava rock?

I love fired clay pellets - I use them with everything. I tend to use them in place of perlite, or as a top dressing. To plug the bottom of pots, I usually use rocks, LFS or orchid mix. However, I only use these because I make a point of draining my trays and top watering every so often. Decaying LFS or orchid bark can cause rot or high nutrient levels in stagnant water, and rocks can introduce dissolved solids.
~Joe

Back