What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parents and plants, not a good mix.

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I woke up this morning and was looking at my plants when I spotted a trap closed on something. It looked like sandwitch meat so I got twisers and pull it out and it was. I asked my dad if he messed with it and he asked mhy. I told him about the meat he shrugged and asked me why I pulled it out, so I told him. He said oh realizing what he did. Not only did he give them turky he deformed my plants best trap. At least I caught it on the first day.:-(

Scandilous! Don't worry about the best trap. The next one will be even better! My wife poked one of my dionaea's with a pencil once so I had to explain to her about energy and blah blah blah... lol. At least they are showing some interest in our hobby (even if it isn't constructive).

xvart.

At least your parents don't show outright opposition to your hobby. Your dad may have just been wanting to help out or more likely curious. Next time you catch a bug and are going to feed it to your VFT ask your dad if he wants to watch or better yet ask if he wants to feed the trap. Then you can explain to him how the triggers work, why VFTs eat bugs, etc.

lol...hey, just be glad it wasn't tofurky...

You think parents are bad, try kids - 5 year olds!!

My kids love triggering the traps, I just make them wait until mid summer when I have tons of traps and try to limit how often they do it. They understand that each time they do it the trap gets a little closer to death. Morbid for a 5 year old, but he understands. I get them to feed the traps buggs they catch most of the time they are allowed trigger them.

I second the sentiments of CP30. After a long hard day at work imagine my surprise to find several cephs and vfts burried under a few inches of soil mix. It seems my 4 yr. old UNSUPERVISED grand daughter had decided to help my by planting them.

Dad's are generally harmless Ant !

At least you've got folks who're involved. Most college kids don't know squat about plants, so I'm always hosed when I look for a plantsitter around here.
As for small children; I say my plants are poisonous when people want to leave animals with them unattended. ;D
~Joe

It is weird that none of my brother(2x) or sisters(2x) know that my flytraps move just another plant,when I trigger it(ocassonally) it will reopen in a few hours maybe a day,is it because it is so sunny here? My red vfts are like purple colored so they are getting tons of light.

Back