What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead traps and Ailing sundew

I've been feeding my VFT crickets, but every time I do, the trap ends up dieing a week or two later. Is this natural or is there something wrong with the food I'm providing. I don't really have too many options in regards to feeding because the only thing else I can get are wax worms and meal worms.

Also, my sundew seems a bit under the weather. I've been feeding it bloodworm, I've been giving it distilled water, and also proper sunlight yet the bottom leaves keep dieing and it doesn't seem as healthy as I believe it should be.

What should I do?

don't feed it too big bugs! also don't feed it too many. One or 2 for like a couple of weeks is good enough.

Where are you keeping your plants? The VFT should be able to eat big prey as long as there is enough air circulation to prevent bacteria and fungus destroying the trap.

What species of sundew is it you have?

What species of sundew is it you have?

I'm not quite sure. I got it from Lowes and it has long broad leaves. I'm not quite sure if that helps.... I've been trying to figure that out but all the ones I can find have skinny leaves and some look down right alien. I'm guessing that Lowes probably only deals with a select number of carnivorous plants so maybe just knowing the source helps.

The Drosera is D. adelae. As far as I'm aware, that's the only Drosera Lowe's sells.

No, the Lowe's in my area sells Drosera spatulata and Drosera capensis. I've yet to see Drosera adelae but that doesn't mean they don't get it to sell.

See this post. Lowe's and Home Depot sell Gubler's plants among others. I suspect Gubler's resells AgriStarts3 plants, some day I'll get around to calling them down here in Southern California and confirm this.

Mine sells capensis and adelae, and HD sells spatulata

It looks like a Drosera adelae. I feel pretty confident with that. Thanks for the help everyone!

So what is there anything special I should know about this guy? I'm really trying my hardest to nurse him back to health.

Oh they just die for no reason some times and return from the roots. You can have a 12 inch pot of adult D. adelae, and one will die while the others do great. It's just what they do some times.

Back