What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help asap

i just repotted my vfts and sars about 5 minutes ago. as i was putting my stuff away, i noticed the bag of sphag. peat say "ENRICHED W MIRACLE-GRO". Should i repot my plants to their old medium then? Or will they be ok in their new pot

Unpot them, give the roots a good thorough rinsing in good water, repot them in the old media and give them a good top water flush a couple times and discard the runoff.

I haven't been able to find the stuff without Miracle-Gro lately. I hope it's just seasonal because I couldn't find the Scott's brand listed on their products any more.

should i just throw away the new mixture that i made?

even if i rinsed the mixture before repotting the plants, it would still kill my vfts?

The stuff is slow release so rinsing the new media probably won't get rid of it unless you rinse for a long time.

Plant some begonias or something in the stuff you just mixed up, plenty of flowers in the garden shops right now. I love the smells when I walk into the garden area of these stores. :)

thanks for the help.

ok. ive repotted to the old media. the reason why i wanted to repot was because there werent any new growth visible. can i still repot the plants once i have the right mixture? im kinda worried that repotting again would cause so much root disturbance. or should i just wait after this year's dormancy

yeah! take it out. I hate when brands do this.....they go for the mass customer and add fertilizers to raw material instead of leaving it alone. :(

They put it in perlite, too. I almost killed my entire sarracenia collection, but luckily I noticed before I bought it.

Go ahead and repot if you want but then leave them alone.

VFTs are tough and you won't do any harm repotting 2 or 3 times.

It might take a while but it should recover unless the plant is sickly to begin with.

I repotted two of my VFTs in Feb. One I repotted three times because too much of the rhizome was exposed - it's one of those that the leaves want to spring the bulb into the air when unearthed. For 3 - 4 weeks no growth at all. Finally a couple of deformed leaves. It's finally producing leaves about the size before repotting - but now it's putting up another flower stalk. I had clipped a flower off it about a month before repotting. Where as the other plant put out a couple smaller leaves but now is surpassing the leaves in size to what it had before repotting. 1.5+ inch traps. Also it was putting out two leaves for every one the three timer was.

To be fair I put quite a bit of stress on the plant in holding the leaves in place and trying to keep the bulb at a decent depth. More careful or gentle handling would probably have shocked the plant less and not put off its growth as much.

The more you handle them the more chance for misadventure.

yeah! definately expect 3 weeks or so of waiting...unless ur VFT's were happy before the repotting. Don't worry....when I potted my VFT's, I had the same problem as well.. I potted them in peat with slow release fertilizer (scultz peat moss) and after 3 hrs realised while looking at the pics that it was fertilizer. I had to unpot, keep them back wrapped in wet sphagnum moss, then next day, buy the nice raw bale of peat.

Another lesson is to STICK with the brand u have got success with. I stick with scultz perlite + gardner's peat moss. They seem to work well with my plants atleast. I will never change the recipe unless the companies go out of business or start mixing crap in them. :)

I bought a bale of peat from homedepot they should still have it it was $12

Oh yeah, rinse perlite in a bucket of water. Theres usually little rocks in it.

I don't have room to store anything larger than a pillow in my apartment. All the HDs around here have a bags large and small of the Miracle-Gro stuff. All the bales are sold out. The landscaping business booms in spring in LA - all the businesses are replanting their landscaped areas. Stuff gets sold out within hours of them stocking it on the shelves and bins.

The peat I have is like a cube.. it's Canadian.. It has French stuff written all over it. "PREMiER Sphagnum Peat Moss" "TOURBE DE SPHAIGNE" It's packed in bulk so I doubt there's any fertilizer in it... bulk is always good.. still make sure you check and see if there's fertilizer in it.

If you're really worried about your VFT recovering from disturbing the roots, you could try and get some SuperThrive. It supposedly completely cancels out any root shock that the plant might have.. I have not had the pleasure of using it yet but I've heard good things.

I've seen those peat bales at Lowe's, the problem is storage space at home, plus they didn't have them a couple weeks ago.

unless everywhere stops carrying your brand

Still trying to figure out where to put mine. :p

so i finally bought a premade mixture of sand and perlite from a grower but 1 gallon isnt enough
im gonna go to the store right now to buy sphagnum peat and perlite mixture. is it safe to pot the vfts in a sphag/sand/perlite mixture? plus, is it still ok to repot the plants even though it's late spring?

THe mix should be fine. VFTs aren't too picky as long as there is sphagnum of some sort in the mix (LFS/Peat/Live) anywhere from 50%-100%. I'd rinse the mix (sand/perlite especially) a couple times and let it drain good before repotting.

Growth might be put off by as much as 3-4 weeks but they should recover. Keep the roots moist and try to minimize the physical stress you place on the plants.

so i finally bought a premade mixture of sand and perlite from a grower but 1 gallon isnt enough
im gonna go to the store right now to buy sphagnum peat and perlite mixture. is it safe to pot the vfts in a sphag/sand/perlite mixture? plus, is it still ok to repot the plants even though it's late spring?

NO! Don't buy premade mixes again! That's like bottling tap water and selling it! Sphagnum peat and sand are cheap as crap and are available in bulk quantities! I think I still have a third of a bale left in the garage.

Back