What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT seems happy outside

Just thought I'd share a few photos with you all. It even looks like it might try and bloom, I think.

Traps starting to take on a reddish appearance
DSCF0775.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

I think this is 2 blooms but not sure
DSCF0773.jpg

It will bloom, there is a flower stock in the pic.

Looks like you have two flower stalks and maybe two plants there. It'll be a few weeks before the flowers are ready to open.

Just keep them well watered as they appear healthy and you should be rewarded with some nice trap growth. I've noticed with my VFTs the trap size growth definitely gets smaller during flower production.

Your call if you want to clip the flowers or not.

Looks like you have two flower stalks and maybe two plants there. It'll be a few weeks before the flowers are ready to open.

Just keep them well watered as they appear healthy and you should be rewarded with some nice trap growth. I've noticed with my VFTs the trap size growth definitely gets smaller during flower production.

Your call if you want to clip the flowers or not.

Not being to familiar with VFT's what the pros and cons of clipping the flower?? I think your right about having two plants but since it's doing so good I'm going to leave it alone and maybe divide them next year.

Letting the plant flower can divert more of its energy towards flowering, and then make for an unhealthy plant, although this is not always the case. The only reason I'd think you'd want flowers is either just to "experience" them or for seeds.

Most likely the larger of the two plants produced an off-shoot from it's bulb thing, which is why you have two plants.

-Ben

Letting the plant flower can divert more of its energy towards flowering, and then make for an unhealthy plant, although this is not always the case. The only reason I'd think you'd want flowers is either just to "experience" them or for seeds.

Most likely the larger of the two plants produced an off-shoot from it's bulb thing, which is why you have two plants.

-Ben

Thanks Ben for the info. I think I'll let it flower this time.

Make seeds. We need more genetically unique VFTs in this world...

Hey I'll try anything once... Can someone direct me to some links that explains the process of pollination and how to do it....

not that difficult...like pollinating any other flower. but i think there is a waiting period for one of the "bits" to mature...
Alex

I don't think mixing genetically identical plants to pollenate each other would divert genes.

Make seeds. We need more genetically unique VFTs in this world...

I don't think mixing genetically identical plants to pollenate each other would divert genes.

Ant, you beat me to it.

Genetic diversity within Typicals in circulation has decreased due to the decreased practice of field collection and the increased practice of tissue culture in general, but in this case, the plants are exact clones. For this reason, any seed set may be weak. Many plants don't like to self pollinate, and "crossing" two clones is, in practice, self-pollination.

Back