What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to start vft enclosure

JungleGuts

Jungle Exotics Inverts
I currently have an empty 10g tank that im wanting to put plants in. My main focus is venus fly traps....some questions:

-What temps/humidity/lighting do these like?
-What are some other plants that would go well with them?
-What substrait should be used?
-How should i go about watering them?

please edit your post to take out the supplier. we arent allowed to talk about suppliers as the Admin (adnedarn) has his own shop.
Alex

You should really grow them outside in full sun in a mixture of peat moss and perlite. You could use sand but mine rotted last year on me like that. Then you use distilled or R/O water and I water from above. Keep them wet and in the sun and you should be good to go.

VFT's are a bad choice for a terrarium approach. Asian pitcher plants would be a better choice, as would bladderworts. Most CP's do best when they are exposed to the air. Keeping them enclosed usually results in mold.

I grow Flytraps year-round indoors. I'll say they need alotta light!

A 10 Gal might be kinda stuffy fer em, but could be ok as long as it's not too wet in there.
I grow mine in peat/perlite with some sand in pots in water dishes.

An important thing for indoor growing is keeping them somewhere there's a temp change to cold temps. Like a garage or under an open basement window or sumpthin. Where do you live so I know the temps?
Adjusting the photoperiod to the temps for a simulated seasonal change for dormancy is paramount. I have my season alittle late due to cold temps for spring in NY and warmer temps to mid-fall.

Drosera Rotundifolia & Beleziana's are good companion's... even the low-growing Sarracenia's tend to get too large to make a good companion to Flytraps in a 10er.
Maybe temperate pings or Ultrics? I don't grow those though...

I just water the trays they're in without watering overhead using distilled water from the supermarket.

Outdoors growing is much less time & energy-consuming, and growing Flytraps indoors can be very challenging but also quite rewarding..

Here's an example of some of my indoor-grown plants:
Flytrap.jpg

They're flowering now so I'll have some really nice pics up soon.

thanks for all the info, i live in IL...

Yer welcome. So if you're in IL you probly get some cold wintertime temps I would think... so like I said, finding a good spot with seasonal variation of temps that gets fairly cold, but not freezing in the Winter and that should be your spot!
And like I said, I adjust the photoperiod of my lights to what the temps are; and where I live, that means my plants come outta dormancy late and go into it late.
Having a seasonal variation is important, if you go into the summer photoperiod too quick, you can exhaust the plants if you don't shorten the period after a couple months.
Having the temps and the photoperiod in synce are key for indoor guys and that can be tricky.
Flytraps are very tolerant so if you don't get it right at first, they'll tough it out until you do. Unless you rot em by too much water constantly or a soil mix with too much peat.
Hope this helps...

hmm well in the winter we are well below freezing fairly often

Here's an example of some of my indoor-grown plants:

You've got some nice coloration going on there for inside vft's. I grow mine inside, not in a terrarium, and still get some decent red inside the traps; but, nothing like that. Of course, I need a few more lights.

By the way, welcome to the forum, JungleGuts!

xvart.

Thanks xvart! at that time there was 2, 2-tube T8's around 13 hrs.
Now I plugged in the other 2-tube T8 for 3 in all and they're on, like 14-14 1/2 hrs I think?
Flytraps are light-hogs!

Oh yeah, an welcome to the forums JungleGuts!

I just water the trays they're in without watering overhead using distilled water from the supermarket.

This is the best option for water. Especially if you use sand instead of perlite. Sand tends to cling on to nutrients more, in my opinion. But, Jungle Guts, it's up to you how you grow your babies. People can tell you're wrong, but I have many different "non-contemporary" ways that work, some better than others. If you ever find your plants in distress, everyone on this forum will help you remedy the problem. Welcome to the Forum!!

Back